Cup Final & An Interesting Week Ahead

Cup chat, fixtures and results.
Messi#10
Current Club: Sacred Heart

Re: Cup Final & An Interesting Week Ahead

Post by Messi#10 »

First of all congratulations to Uni Whites on their cup win. It's always a huge effort to go through a knockout comp & win the final so a top effort lads!

I wasent at the final but by what I heard it was a thoroughly deserved win by the Whites. We started quite well & went 1-0 up but then the Whites come back strongly & he felt at the end of the game the Whites were worthy winners.

Our A's just have to put the loss behind them now & get the 3 vital points against Grads. That's what all top sides do. They put their loses behind them.
yak

Post by yak »

That's it Messi - this is a real test of mettle - if SHOC manage a win this week, the will be deserved champions.
It's an interesting thing having the cup final before the season end. The loss will either motivate the boys even more & they might come out all guns blazing on Saturday or it could have the opposite effect & deflate them.
I have a feeling they might really be up for the challenge this weekend & really give Grads a battle. This week is probably where the coach earns his bucks... Getting the team back on the job at hand is the key.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

having the cup played before the end of season is much better. One of the reasons for bringing it forward is so that the super cup can be played straight after the season end and teams dont have to wait around for the game. It could also see a repeat of the Cup final if Sacred Heart win the league. Its not on the CSL website but im pretty sure the super cup is still being played. Its on the fixture documnets. There was also talk that the super cup should be played at the start of 2013. Bit like the Charity shield in EPL. Good idea I think. Can be done now but need confirmation from league.
So the 2 teams that did not play due to that famous no show earlier in the year may still play each 3 times this this year. 1 Win each at the moment with Uni White taking the bigger one.
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

If the Super Cup is to be seen as an important trophy then I think it should be played at the end of the season. Otherwise the competing teams could have very different squads by the time the next season comes around.

If the Super Cup isn't played at the end of the season then there's no reason to have held the cup final prior to the end of the league season. Having a week off for most clubs with only 2 league games to go was a little bit odd, but at least catch-up games were able to be played.

So far as I'm aware, the Super Cup is still scheduled to be on 22 September.
Messi#10

Post by Messi#10 »

Would be good to have the super cup played at the start of the following season but as one of the other lads said the only problem with that is there's a chance the competing teams could be completely different.

After our A's won today it will be a repeat of the Cup Final against Uni Whites.

Should be a cracker I think!!
yak

Post by yak »

Well done to your boys for bouncing back & winning the league too! Shows some intestinal fortitude at the club.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

Super cup can be played at the start of the season. EPL do it and squads are different. Some players may choose to play that game only and then move on. You would think that 90% of the squad will be the same.
The super cup is the 3rd best trophy so the main importance is league and cup.
Play it at the start of the year and make a day of it with other games at the same venue. Raise some money for a selected charity.
Messi#10

Post by Messi#10 »

yak wrote:Well done to your boys for bouncing back & winning the league too! Shows some intestinal fortitude at the club.
Thanks mate. Was brilliant to bounce back & beat Grads Red to claim back to back league titles. Was also 1-0 down at half time so a great effort on many fronts!
MickyP21
Current Club: Norwood

Post by MickyP21 »

Well done to the Uni Whites on their win, cant believe they won though, they only beat our 2B in the first round 3-1, and we didnt have a proper keeper either, funny game soccer...
yak

Post by yak »

That's what makes Cup games exciting though. Any team can win (or lose) on their day. It's always fun (when playing in the lower divs) to really push a 1A or 2A team.. Or even get an upset win.
I've always loved cup games!