Finals 2014

Cup chat, fixtures and results.
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Re: Finals 2014

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

No funny goings on really...just two very competitive sides, clubs and fans who both were passionate AND desperate to take home the prize.
Both sides brought a ton of fans to the game who were both noisy and created a good atmosphere (although a few of the players on both sides copped a fair amount of stick).
Ref was OK..... Made some poor decisions, made some good ones etc. Game was physical at times but not overally and he seemed to keep most of it in check although he was shy at giving out yellows even though a couple of hard tackles both ways may have been worth a solid yellow!!! Then he sent someone off after the game had finished which seemed a little harsh and out of standing with the other decisions!
As for the game and players:
- Our boys had a few key omissions on the day including our leading scorer! Holidays for all of them was the reason. Not enough faith in themselves to get to the finals maybe??!! Our guy would have had a field day on that pitch as its a fast and perfectly flat surface which would have been perfect for his pace..... such is life and it gave a couple of fringe players a chance to play in a cup final (one whom scored a corker)
- The game came down to endurance in the end. It was a tight 90 minutes with Unley going behind and replying almost immediately. The loss of Barkers CM in the first half with a broken leg (confirmed) looked like it could have been a pivotal moment as Unley certainly had the slight upper hand in the second 45 mins. Best chance of the game was Unley's with their guy making a lovely run behind the back four of Barker but shooting narrowly wide with a 1 on 1 with the keeper.
Unleys strength comes from from experience and that i think was also the ultimate decider as extra time killed all the guys but the oldies will have felt it the most, especially with a 24 degree day. Never seen so many guys with cramp!
The Barker 2nd goal was a screamer from a young sub and that was the decider as it opened up play all over the pitch which left the Unley back 4 exposed as they pushed forward with a 3-5-2 change to formation.

The ground is pretty good and certainly better than Burton to watch, get to and play on but theres nothing like proper grass! I can imagine a number of the guys having sore knees on such a hard, uncompromising deck but like I said, better than Burton in my humble opinion.

Unley will be back next season to try and nail some silverware and as always will be consistent which is why they were in the mix for the title and cup.
Barker lost their first 4 games in Div 1 this year...... A number of biggish ins are already in place / planned which will cement their capability and they will be competitive...
hanners
Current Club: CSL Div 1

Post by hanners »

Well Done to Mt.Barker. Div 2 team last year and 2 cup finals. Not a bad run so far...

By all accounts, Barker had a Key Defender, Key Midfielder and the Leagues golden boot winner missing... Coaches nightmare, but they got the result.

Good Luck in 2015 to both teams.
fingers
Current Club: Unley Old Scholars

Post by fingers »

Squeezy Cheesey Peas wrote:
LGA wrote:Heard a child below the age of 7 called the Unley president a C U N T...... Class barker, real class
Irony in your post.... Class on a forum or a bit of sour grapes ?
Get over the result and what was a tight game until the last 20 of extra time.
It was legs that won it in the end with both sides missing the chances to win the game in normal time.
Great game and great atmosphere .
As for your president And the alleged kid comment, his hissy fit at the end was as classless as it gets .
Hilarious watching him trying to tell everyone an alleged 7 year old had abused him rather than showing some humility in defeat. The question of class goes both ways except one is an alleged kid, one is an alleged adult.
Well done to Mt Barker, certainly the better team in ET. Unley had a chance to pinch it in the last minute of the 90 with a header going inches wide, thems the breaks hey? Mt Barker's back 4 were outstanding all day and fitness certainly got them over the line.

As for the alleged comment, i was in the Unley dugout and can confirm that it happened. There had been at that stage no comments made by the Unley players to the Mt Barker supporters who had been launching personal and derogatory attacks on the players for some time by then. Everyone loves a bit of sledging to support your team but personal attacks are not on and Mt Barker as a club should have a good look at their culture as I thought in my 10+ years in the CSL hadn't seen such ordinary behaviour from the spectators. One bloke just stood on the hill and called an Unley player a f*ckhead every time he got the ball. I suppose it takes brains to make sledges funny rather than just stupid...

I think this was particularly highlighted by the fact all the Mt Barker officials found it funny that children were using such language and even applauded it. At no point were the Unley comments directed about the game/result but the actions of the supporters. Plenty of class in trying to ensure the CSL and its image is held intact and improved..
Brendan
Current Club: Mt Barker

Post by Brendan »

I think Unley needs to look at their culture of everyone leaving at the end and not even applauding their own players for getting their runners up medals. Poor poor sportsmanship. Mt Barker supporters at least stayed back and applauded the winners last year, and applauded Unley at the end this year.

You worry about your own culture before criticising ours.
boots
Current Club: Blacks

Post by boots »

There was a crucial Port v Hawthorn game to get to watch on theTV ;)
crusader
Current Club: mount barker soccer club

Post by crusader »

Oh fingers have you ever been to a football match. It's never nice losing but we lost the cup last season and came back to win it this year. For a club that trains only once a week we did a great job especially in the first half of extra time. Next season look out. We will challenge for the league.