Stupid Draw

Cup chat, fixtures and results.
wojindows
Site Admin
Current Club: Uni Whites

Re: Stupid Draw

Post by wojindows »

yak wrote:rather than giving the top 4 teams a bye - the bottom 8 teams play off for 4 spots into 'Round 1' of the cup.
But again, there would need to be a way to stop these clubs playing their A players in this qualification round (which would consist mainly of D and E teams).
That's it!
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Yak - that's a great idea. I'm on the CSL Executive Committee and I'll put your suggestion forward.

As for all the conspiracy theories about the bigger clubs whose A teams get byes stacking their teams, yes it does happen sometimes undoubtedly, but most of you guys just look at results and make assumptions with no basis for doing so. Pembroke C's beat Grads Red A's. Did they stack their team? No. I'm a Pembroke player and was at the game. Pembroke C's played well but were outplayed and were lucky to win 1-0. Our goalie had an unbelievably good day. Maybe Grads Red 's underestimated us too - we were rubbish only a few years ago when our C's were in the same divsion as Grads Red A's, but times change.

As for the comment about Grads White v Pembroke Gold, that was way off the mark. Maybe you should attend the game before making a comment. Pembroke Gold didn't stack their team, in fact they were understrength because we use the cup to rotate our squad. Grads White played and beat Pembroke Blue earlier in the season, not Pembroke Gold.

Clubs outside of div 1A need to realise that many of the teams in division 3 could beat teams in div 2A. And half the teams in div 4 would thrash some teams in div 2B.

I would like to see a cup for all A grade teams and then a separate cup comp for all other teams. But I've suggested that in the past and got nowhere, so Yak's idea is a sensible alternative.
bluetooners
Current Club: cbc

Post by bluetooners »

not in favour of cup round before league starts,should be through the season aspreviously
bluetooners
Current Club: cbc

Post by bluetooners »

should be a reserves cup separate from "A"s
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

Cup should be for A teams only of each club.

Big games straight away.

Basically A teams playing A teams.

Thats what I want to see. Often mentioned it to the league. Hopefully in 2013.
Crab16

Post by Crab16 »

I agree that it goes against the spirit for clubs to push A players down into lower teams for the cup to try and catch other teams out by them thinking they are playing a C team.
Having said that, if my club had a bye in round 1 and i felt i needed an extra run to get some touch / fitness / sharpness (or all of the above) before the start of the season i would play in the cup round.
Why should anyone have a bye in the first round of the cup? So that Sacred heart don't play a div 4 team and pump them? Well that's the cup. get over it. All teams enter the cup from round 1.
By the way, we are already getting 6 nil, 8 nil, 12nil results in the cup now so it clearly isn't working.
wojindows
Site Admin
Current Club: Uni Whites

Post by wojindows »

Teams get a bye becuase there are only 60 teams entering a 64 team cup. It is impossible for teams not to have a bye.
That's it!
yak

Post by yak »

Personally i love the fact all teams play in the cup & last year's 2 finalists from div 3 really highlights what the cup is all about - ANYONE can win!
Stacked team or not, you still need to win against quality oposition to make it far in the cup. Eventually you will play good teams... Simple as that. I think people are getting a little carried away with the 'fairness' or not of the cup. Yes, there'll be a few blowouts, but there'll also be the occasional upset... That's why the cup is fun. It's different to the league.
cruie

Post by cruie »

I like the idea of one big cup competition. Yeah you might get battered, or you might pull-off an upset, or you might cruise through ... but I think it's good that everyone has a chance, before R1 kicks-off, of winning a competition against all teams.

Given that there aren't 64 teams, then byes are going to happen, but I wonder if it wouldn't be fairer to draw those byes out of a hat, rather than have a reward for the previous season's successful clubs? Not that I'm that bothered about it, either way.

While the prelim round is a decent idea, as someone else has said, its just as likely that will be stacked as the current setup (assuming it is the lower-league teams who are entered into it?). Anything anyone can come up with, is open to manipulation in some way.

Even if you said that movement up AND down was banned, and so had stable teams from Round-1, you would still see clubs taking advantage by picking cup-sides to best take advantage of the R1 draw. And I know some clubs chose to "rotate" for the cup, under the current rules, as a player-reward thing. That said, I am interested why the "Play Up" rule exists?

Whether Div4 is stronger than Div1a is neither here nor there ... It is what it is. In a League with only 60 teams (and what, 20 clubs?) there is always going to be a wide-range of abilities that will often produce very one-sided results. As a club, we know from experience how difficult to handle that can be, but there is little that can be done about it. Only more clubs - and then, presumably, fewer teams from each - is going to solve that problem.

I think the risk of a Div4 side losing 16-0 to a Div1a side is better than having separate competitions against what would be almost the same teams that a club played in its league-matches. Like the FA Cup back in England, you either get the luck of the draw, or you don't.