Women playing in the CSL

ChrisRogers
Current Club: Scotch

Women playing in the CSL

Post by ChrisRogers »

So, we had the unfortunate incident of having two female players be refused a match on Saturday after the other team complained that the CSL is a "men's" league. Despite this, I can find no reference to this within the CSL constitution, and we have had no objections to playing women in the past.

I also believe this matter was brought up at a pre-season CSL meeting and it was determined that women were allowed to play in this league.

It seems that we are getting mixed messages here.

How do others feel about this?
UniSA
Current Club: UniSA

Re: Women playing in the CSL

Post by UniSA »

The women do have their own league to play in, however I personally don't think it should be a problem if the CSL rules doesn't exclude them from playing. I certainly wouldn't have anything to say if an opposition team wanted to field women against us. Considering women play on Sundays maybe a few clubs who are short of players could top up their matchday squads with a few girls ;) Just a thought.
ImmanuelDove7

Post by ImmanuelDove7 »

This is a very serious issue of women playing in the CSL. We would be the only men's league under the FFSA banner to have a mixed league. The FFSA have both men's and women's league's. Firstly it is an issue of insurance which needs to be considered but most importantly the dynamics of our league would change if our league was allow women to play in it. I think you need to ask the question of how many clubs would we lose to other league's if we were to allow our league to be mixed. It's not about being sexist, it's about being sensible and realising that there is a reason that at senior levels of soccer mixed teams do not exist. There are both men's and women's league's which accomodate for both sexes to compete at various levels in South Australia. Consider for a moment being a mixed league, how would the Super, Premier, State, Master's leagues associated with the FFSA view our league? What about the Amatuer League? Our League's reputation would be tarnished.

If it's a case of being short players, do what other clubs do; get out there, market your club, invite friends to join, advertise online, recruit directly from your backing institution.
Last edited by ImmanuelDove7 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisRogers

Post by ChrisRogers »

The only question in regards to insurance is if the ffsa policy allows it. In the case that it doesn't, surely a signed waiver from the competing player is enough to mitigate that risk. If a club deems a female player good enough to be in their team, surely it can only improve the quality/depth of the league as a whole. Not to mention that the collegiate league is hardly one of the premier soccer competitions in the state. As such, I doubt you would lose many/if any clubs or players. Indeed, as said before, we have played women previously with no issues whatsoever from any other team.

This is a matter that the CSL Executive Committee needs to make a definitive ruling one way or the other. (especially after they said it was ok at the start of the season)
ImmanuelDove7 wrote: It's not about being sexist, it's about being sensible and realising that there is a reason that at senior levels of soccer mixed teams do not exist.

Which are? Many social leagues of sport play with mixed teams.
ImmanuelDove7

Post by ImmanuelDove7 »

You proved my point entirely. At social level it is acceptable, there are rulings by which this is allowed as it is not competitive sport. By no means is the Collegiate League a Social Leauge, it is a competitive Amatuer Men's competition. I was in attendance at both C.S.L meetings and the AGM and at no stage was the topic of women playing in our league discussed and for that matter deemed acceptable. If this was raised and decided upon, there would be no disagreance over this matter.
ChrisRogers

Post by ChrisRogers »

ImmanuelDove7 wrote:You proved my point entirely.
Haha, how exactly? I was merely pointing out a situation where mixed competition exists week-in week-out. As to the competitiveness of social leagues? I've certainly played in social mixed leagues that are at least as competitive as the collegiate league.
ImmanuelDove7 wrote:it is a competitive Amatuer Men's competition
THAT is the point here. Nowhere is the CSL defined as a men's only league.
UniSA
Current Club: UniSA

Post by UniSA »

I have to side with ChrisRogers here. It is an Amatuer competition, regardless of how competitive it is. And the discusssion of a mixed league is in my opinion a little over the top. To allow women to play in teams isn't going to mean that clubs will be stocking there sides with women. It just might mean that a few clubs may have one or two women play.
And to suggest that the competition would be tarnished by the presence of women players is pretty harsh. Other FFSA clubs would have very little interest that the CSL has females playing, and in general know little about the CSL anyway.

Storm in a teacup.
chekj004
Current Club: Grads Red

Post by chekj004 »

This is the first time i Noticed this thread and I think its an important topic that needs to be raised with the CSL.
I agree with ImmanuelDove7 is that there would certainly be clubs dropping out if women were competing in the league. There is really no point having a table,promotion etc if players alter their game to play against women it tarnishes the league as mentioned. A group of us pulled out of the AISC Thursday night league because they could only accommodate us to play in the mixed league. We ALL felt uncomfortable putting a challenge in on a woman. I can guarantee there would be at least 4-5 clubs that would withdraw and play in the amateur league if this was happening on a regular basis.
yak

Post by yak »

4 or 5 clubs would withdraw? seriously? is this the deciding factor in joining/leaving a league? wow, just been reading how a referee was bashed during an amateur league game.. i recon that's more important to me.
I've been playing collegiate league for 15 years... played against women a few times.. Shit, one game a woman was the other teams best player.
I doubt any club is going to have women play every week.. what's the big deal.
As for changing your game - hmmm.. Surely once they're on the pitch they are any other player..
Totalfootball
Current Club: whites

Post by Totalfootball »

THe question better put is if they play in our comp then we should be able to play in theirs. They want always a one way street. If they don't mind male joining in and playing then all good but it won't , social football is where we can mix for fun. I think its safety and general difference between genders don't really allow for this change.