Ref NO SHOW

buzzy

Re: Ref NO SHOW

Post by buzzy »

dash riprock wrote:1- Linesmen requested and no feedback on allocation or not. No one at our club knew of this one way or the other. We have had linesmen befor ethis season and do not get formal feedback they were coming so we merely assumed it was 'on' as any one worth a dollar would have contacted us to tell us the request had been 'denied' - or is that asking too much?
I have requested assistant referees many times over the past three seasons. I have never once received confirmation that they have been appointed. Sometimes they have shown up and sometimes they haven't and I agree this makes it very difficult to plan for. I have noticed this season though that when they are appointed to CSL games they are listed on the email that comes through on Friday night/Saturday morning alongside the main official. FFSA have appointed a new state manager of referees and he starts next Monday (15th July), hopefully this person might better understand the needs of our league.
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

I agree that the system is woeful and I've been saying that for several years. Clubs are not allowed to have referees' contact details, but then then some (but by no means all) referees do not contact clubs to advise if they cannot attend. The clubs and/or Dino need to be notified if a referee cannot attend, as they are the only ones who care enough to arrange a solution.

In terms of the Windsor v Mt Barker cup game on the weekend, I understand your frustration and I agree that you guys should have had a referee at the expense of a division 5 game if need be (though the league games were not catch-up games, rather divisions 3 - 5 are playing a 21 game league season). I'm sure that would have occurred if Dino or the clubs had received sufficent notice of the referee pulling out. Someone from the CSL pool may have been able to help out at the very least.

However, I still do not understand why the game was not played. The referee not turning up is one issue. The decision not to play the game (and to complain about wasted travelling time) is another issue. Club-based refs are not ideal, but if you've travelled from Mt Barker to Greenacres wouldn't you be inclined to play the game and referee half a game each? Did one team refuse to play without an official referee? Or both? Are cup games that much more important than league games that teams should be allowed to do that? In round 1 of the cup Pembroke 1A v Westminster 1A had no referee show up (without any notice), but we still played the game. The situation sucks, but how you deal with it is relevant too.

Mt Barker A's already had one league catch-up game to be played, so if they play the cup QF on 27 July that solves one problem but creates another.

I hope a referee is appointed and turns up for the Mt Barker v Windsor league game this week. Presumably the suspsensions due to be served in the cup game will now carry over to the league game instead?
crusader
Current Club: mount barker soccer club

Post by crusader »

one reason why we did not play this fixture Ross is that the last time we played at this ground the ref sent off 3 players and said that he should of called the game off
We thought that it would of been a much better option to have 3 officials to control the game and as we never even got one to cancel it was the safest optionb
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Have to say Ross that there wouldn't have been enough people at the ground for either team to provide a club ref IF either had wanted to.
Neither party wanted to plat without officals and that was the right decsion for this fixture.
We have CSL ool refs (in fact 3 or 4) BUT they don't follow the teams around waiting for a no show! They all play and would be happy to fill in if given any notice.
Maybe the advent of new technology like mobile phones, this can be avoided in the future ;)
nobody

Post by nobody »

A quarter final cup game game must have a referee if you are taking this competition seriously.
Brendan
Current Club: Mt Barker

Post by Brendan »

Actually, Dino let me know that there were no linesman allocated. I told the Mt Barker 2A manager, so that's fine as well. Ross wasn't hopeful of us getting one, so neither was I. The official referee pulling out, well that's another issue altogether. Who doesn't love a midweek game? #loveit
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

If there have been problems with that fixture in the recent past then I can understand
the decision to postpone the game. Would like to know what time FFSA got a call from the
ref to say he couldn't attend. If it was anytime before 12.30pm on Saturday it would have been
relatively easy to alter the ref appointments to ensure all the cup games had a ref. Shame the
ref didn't call the clubs or Dino though. There should be a set (sensible) protocol for referees to
follow in that situation. If they notify only FFSA after 5pm on a Friday then it's no use at all.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Brendan wrote:Actually, Dino let me know that there were no linesman allocated. I told the Mt Barker 2A manager, so that's fine as well. Ross wasn't hopeful of us getting one, so neither was I. The official referee pulling out, well that's another issue altogether. Who doesn't love a midweek game? #loveit
Hindmarsh Stadium 7:00pm next Wednesday night suits me!!!!
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

We'll be there ;)
Brendan
Current Club: Mt Barker

Post by Brendan »

I'm washing my hair that night :P