Div 1A - Who will be champion

chelsea

Div 1A - Who will be champion

Post by chelsea »

Div 1A has been the toughest league this year. In the past it has always been a 4 team race but this year you can say it has become a 7 team race. On the day all the top 7 teams can beat each other so there are many hard games this year. With Mercedes finlaly being knocked off by Rostrevor and Uni White in the last few weeks the title is now open.

Current Table

1. Mercedes - 32 Pts
2. Sacred Heart - 31 Pts
3. Uni White - 28 Pts
4. Rostrevor - 25 Pts
5. Pulteney - 25 Pts

Mercedes still have it in their control but the pressure must be building after losing the last 2 games.

Rostrevor and Pulteney are real outside chances but need too many results to go their way in the last 4 rounds.

Sacred Heart and Uni White are both in a good position if Mercedes drop further points.

The run home.
Mercedes - Pembroke (H) / Sacred Heart (A) / Pulteney (H) / Scotch (A)
Tough run home. Only Win at the moment would be Scotch. Pembroke and Pulteney can definately get some points. Mercedes / Sacred Heart could be a mini Grand Final.

Mercedes to Get 6 Points from 12. Finish with 38 points.

Sacred Heart - Pulteney (H) / Mercedes (H) / Uni Black (H) / Rostrevor (H)
Tough Run Home. Only Win at the moment would be Uni Black. All 4 games at home though. Big game against Mercedes. Hard finish against Rostrevor who are school traditional rivals.

Sacred Heart to get 7 points from 12. Finish with 38 points.

Uni White - Rostrevor (A) / Pulteney (H) / Scotch (A) / Immanual (H)
Easy run home with last 2 games that should get them 6 points. The next 2 weeks will be the big test for Uni White. If they win both then they are are great chance.

Uni White to get 10 points from 12. Finish with 38 points.

Rostrevor and Pulteney need to win all their games. If they do they will finish on 37 points each.

Mercedes hold a good goal difference and this will get them over the line if they are level at the end of the year with another team.

Will be an interesting finish and too early to call winner but Sacred Heart might just have the advantage as last 4 games are at home.

Many big games over the last 4 weeks so teams will be watching results closely.
Marechiaro17
Current Club: WGOS

Re: Div 1A - Who will be champion

Post by Marechiaro17 »

No pressure, but if Mercedes lose it from here will be a choke.

Too close to call.
skids
Current Club: Pulteney

Post by skids »

That's a decent analysis Chelsea - bout time we had some spotlight on Div1A this year, it seems to have slipped under the radar a little bit!

As part of Pulteney, I'm just so pleased we're in contention with 4 games to go, albeit with a very slim chance. After coming out of Div2 last year, we did wonder how competitive we'd be, so to be 5th, only 7 points behind Mercedes and having taken points off 3 of the top 4 teams already, we're pretty happy. Had we turned a couple of our early draws into wins at the beginning of the season, we'd also be in with much more of a chance - never mind!

We'll endevour to take as many more points as possible this season, but at the same time we wish the other four clubs the best of luck!
Piker

Post by Piker »

Very close across the board at the moment. Mercedes have a big fortnight. if they dont beat Pembroke in the next round then they MUST beat SHOC the following week.

Whites have the kindest draw but its out of their hands at the minute so until the two ahead slip up they are outsiders.

My prediction is that the Mercs V SHOC game in two rounds time could decide it. If that games a draw, Whites are probably alive.

Is that Merc v SHOC game still under lights at Burton as scheduled?
yak

Post by yak »

Great review Chelsea - i just wrote a similar one on the Uni Whites forum, saying we could quite easily finish anywhere from 1st to 7th.
No surprises mentioning the Mercedes v Sacred Heart game in a couple of weeks as MASSIVE & totally agree with your analysis that any of the top 7 can beat any other team on their day. Pultney have a handy knack of stealing points from the big guns & i still rate Rostrevor as a real chance, purely because of their huge goal scoring potential.
This round is a big game for all the top teams. Wins here will go a long way to sorting the wheat from the chaff
Mercs v Pembroke - i won't be surprised if Pembroke get something here - they were excellent against the Whites 2 weeks ago & were unlucky to lose.
Sacred Heart v Pultney - another one too close to call - i'm picking a draw
Rostrevor v Whites - Obviously i'm going for my boys, but i wouldn't be shocked if Rossies snatch something - obviously a win for Rostrevor could really pull them back into the fight.
Exciting times ahead! could go to the wire.
mdoolsy

Post by mdoolsy »

Results today anyone?

Sacred Heart A 3 Pulteney A 2
Sacred Heart B 2 Pulteney B 0
wojindows
Site Admin
Current Club: Uni Whites

Post by wojindows »

1A: Rostrevor 2 Uni Whites 1. Whites played with 10 men for about 80 mins :(
That's it!
The Snitch
Current Club: ROCSC

Post by The Snitch »

Awesome review - love the fact that this great league is now getting some attention.

Having been out of the picture for a couple of years I am amazed at how strong this league is getting and the number of quality players it is attracting.

Also loving the fact that there are 7 teams that on their day are a chance to win against anyone in the league.

I was at the ROCSC Vs Uni White match watching as a neutral, I wanted to see this game because based on results these guys seemed to be the most inform in the league currently. ROCSC were the better team on the day with Uni White's only dangerous shot on goal being a penalty. Uni White had their midfielder sent of at the 25-30 minute mark of the first half, but to be honest ROCSC were playing better against 11.

The referee in charge was woeful to say the least, he was consistantly bad. All I can say is that this ROCSC team are playing some impressive soccer at present and their free flowing soccer is good to watch.

All the best to all teams on their run home, can't wait for this Friday nights big game - may the best team on the day win!!
yak

Post by yak »

I watched the last 15 mins of the Rostrevor v Uni Whites game & thought Rostrevor looked the better of the teams. They move the ball well into attack.
Pity for them is they've made their run too late - cant see them reeling in Mercedes (7pts) or Sacred Hearf (6pts).
Massive game this week for both those teams. Will be interesting to see the result.
buzzy

Post by buzzy »

For anyone who is interested in checking out the Sacred Heart v Mercedes game this weekend is has been moved from Friday night to Saturday, 3:15pm at Sacred Heart's home ground.