Div 2A 2012

cruie

Re: Div 2A 2012

Post by cruie »

Squeezy Cheesey Peas wrote:Its never going to be easy regardless.
The CSL has expanded over the years and is a great league to play in I reckon. Further growth although not required, will provide a strong league that both retains and attracts clubs in the future, whilst allwing the system to mature and normalise the spread of ability within each league.
The idea of a social or an over 35's league within the CSL is interesting.... Our club has already discussed this at length as a mechanism of giving our D grade players a more stimlating environment to play in. The reality is we will need to recruit to compete in the current lower grades but the current D grade players will still be looking for a game / format to compete in. They have been very loyal to the club and the club will repay that by roviding them with a league to play in etc. The only option the guys are discussing is to create a new club that plays social in the SAASL... That is a bad thing for the club as it will divide the playing group with no movement between BUT the desire to play at a level that gives them a chance is great amongst the players! The end result will be one of three:
1. We will soldier on with a flogging each week (clubs prefeered option but we will lose a lot of players this year)
2. Because of player loss, we will run less teams ( not good for club finances or for the league)
3. Start an additional team for social / over 35's and recruit to replace them..

I agree that that good teams evolve over time and I am fully focuused onthat but its harder to bring all the players along.. The joys of soccer !
Is there nay other interst out there for a social or Over 35's league within the CSL or is it a folly???
The current SA O35 competition (Sunday morning) is run by the FFSA. Although most teams that compete in it appear to be SAASL. From what I have heard it is a decent competition. I believe 2 U35s can play alongside their more mature counter-parts ;)

We have also considered it ... We probably have an eligible team and it would help out some of our older lads (a few who have now stopped playing and a few who are still struggling to get their boots on each week). I guess every year we get that bit closer to doing it and 2013 may be the first year we give it a go.

We have also considered a social team within the SAASL, but the biggest issue is that FFSA registered players cannot play in the "normal" SAASL leagues ... Meaning no swapping of players between such teams within a club (the fault of the SAASL, rather than FFSA, I think?). That would be a nightmare for us. But I do not believe that restriction applies to the O35 League (because it is FFSA run)? So you could use a few of the older lads, when injuries/suspensions come around, to cover for teams within the CSL.

As a club, it's well worth thinking about ... I think a similar thing just within the CSL is impractical (because of numbers).

I'm not really a fan of D2/D3 promotion and relegation - I don't think the number of clubs (rather than teams) is applicable (I probably agree with Ross on that point). I would hate to be pushing for a title, knowing the crucial result was Pembroke B v Pembroke C (or any other club); however hard they tried, there would always be the belief that one team or other chucked the match. Another 10 or so clubs within the CSL and it does become a good idea, though.
Balotelli
Current Club: Windsor Gardens

Post by Balotelli »

I think the top teams in division 3 would not be far off the pace in division 2A. Windsor would still probably be too good, but Mercedes C's and maybe Pembroke C's could probably hold their own against most other teams in 2A. But then you get back to the old A teams vs C teams system, like the old divsion "A2". Seem to recall Unley C's did ok in that format but Pembroke C's were the whipping boys in that divsion for a few years, playing the likes of Pulteney A's and Sacred Heart A's. Times change. The teams who are getting thrashed now could be the dominant ones in a few years.

In some ways the CSL doesn't need to grow anymore, as 60 teams is a good number. But if clubs want promotion and relegation in the lower divsions then the CSL needs several more new clubs, not just more teams from existing clubs.

Would FFSA let the CSL set-up an over 35's comp on Saturdays? Or would that effectively be ruled out because it would be a rival competition to the Masters?
Balotelli

Post by Balotelli »

Windsor Gardens seem to have at least one match postponed every year during school holidays. Is that merely a coincidence or do they do all they can to avoid matches being played when they are potentially understrength or in need of a week's rest? With only one team, if you know in advance that your pitch might be doubtful for the Saturday, is it that hard to find an alternative venue for one match? I think Unley managed to switch the venue for all 5 of their teams at late notice a couple of weeks ago.

It wouldn't be so bad, but Windsor make the latter stages of the Cup regularly too, therefore limiting the chances for catch up league matches to ever get played. And the games should be played close to when they were scheduled - at the same time as every other club is dealing with holidays, sickness, suspensions and injuries.

If all clubs were forced to play catch-up league matches mid-week within a short time of a game being postponed then perhaps they might make a greater effort to have games go ahead on a Saturday, at a different venue if necessary.
wojindows
Site Admin
Current Club: Uni Whites

Post by wojindows »

I believe the referee didn't show up.
That's it!
Balotelli

Post by Balotelli »

If the referee didn't show up then why couldn't they agree to share the refereeing duties?! I hope that's not the reason, as that's even easier to resolve than if the ground had been waterlogged. Other clubs have had to deal with refs not turning up in the past. Don't recall too many games getting postponed because of that. Even Scotch, who are in the same division (2A), have had that issue this year, haven't they?
cruie

Post by cruie »

We have had a couple of occasions - this season - when we thought a ref was not going to arrive for a 2A game (on both occasions, the ref did show, in the end).

We had agreed with both clubs that, if no official ref showed, the game would be postponed. No one wants to play a game that might matter for promotion with one or the other club's ref (or even half each!) taking the "blame"

D2B, D3, D4 we were happy to use club refs (either ours, theirs or half-and-half) and have done so for 3 games (D3 x 2, D4 x1) so far this season.

(That's not to say the players involved have been all that happy with THIS club ref! ;))

Effort should be made to get games played as soon as practical ... I think I remember a "rule" concerning this in the CSL documentation (?) ... but I don't think it is a particular cause for concern, nor a way of a particular club reliably gaining an advantage.
divineponytail

Post by divineponytail »

Balotelli,

I understand your frustrations and there is an investigation in place and possibly docked points at stake for WGOS and why they didn't play the game.

In regards to Cruie, I agree with him 100%. If the CSL want to make this a competitive league and a reputable one then refs not showing doesn't help the case. This looks unprofessional on the CSL, no one in any game of football should have to play if a referee doesn't show up. The referee is there for a reason, this isn't the mini-leagues where any mum or dad can take up the role, this is a competitive league and if there is no representatives from the league (i.e The Ref) then who's responsibility is it if a game gets out of control ????

The CSL have to sort out this "ref no show" business. Refs should advise team delegates or even D Mancini directly if they cannot make it to a game at least a few hours before the match. As a player from WGOS, we actually enjoy playing and field a team each week and never pull the pin for no reason (we've been playing a majority of our games with 11 fellas this year). Now we have a cup game coming up and haven't played for the past 2 weeks!!!! Believe me when I say this is not what we want as we have now lost momentum and will be rusty come Saturday. WGOS will always be there on a Saturday - rain, hail or shine week in week out.

In my view, the CSL has to be a lot firmer with Referees and i feel they should be fined by the CSL if they don't show. This is unfair to both teams, especially the ones that travel to the other side of the city !!!
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Totally agree with the above comments... Have witnessed first hand waht happens in a competitive match when no ref turned up and it was chaos....
The teams have a role to play int hat however the lack of a ref in a heated game is a reecipe for disaster and I agree that an A grade game shouldn't go ahead without a proper ref.
Its part of the CSL set up to have FFSA refs for ALL games which is a great thing BUT only if it happens.
I also don't like the way Div 3 and 4 cop the majority of the no shows or even worse, planned no shows.
I was at a game last weekend where no ref showed for the first game but they ended up having 3 there for the last game (1 ref plus 2 linesmen!!!). If I was the home team I would be spitting especially if I had to pay the llinesmen!!!
wojindows
Site Admin
Current Club: Uni Whites

Post by wojindows »

See Ross' comment here: http://www.collegiatesoccerleague.com.a ... ?f=7&t=147

Perhaps you can all post any no-shows on that topic as well so we can keep a record for the year.
That's it!
pizza&beer

Post by pizza&beer »

Did I read correctly? Is someone trying to suggest WGOS avoids playing matches? That's a big call!!!! Perhaps a slip of the tongue...certailnly unsubstantiated one at that. Both sad and disappointing to read - a post of no substance. :|