Thanks to Mount Barker United

buzzy

Thanks to Mount Barker United

Post by buzzy »

Just a quick mention of how impressed I was with Mount Barker this weekend. From memory they were already established as a club playing elsewhere before joining the CSL last year (?) and it shows with their organisation. We had a courtesy call on Friday letting us know the pitch was being inspected early in the morning and we'd be made aware of any changes as soon as possible to save people driving up the hill unnecessarily on Saturday if the games were called off due to bad weather.

When the ref didn't turn up their Division 3 coach volunteered to referee both the Division 3 & 4 games which is something no one wants to do and he controlled a potentially tricky fixture on a small pitch very well. They were overall a great bunch of blokes too and a credit to the league. All of this is something that should be expected of all clubs but as I'm sure many of you are aware isn't always the case! This is the perfect example of how expanding the league can be a positive thing if the right clubs are chosen. I can remember being very impressed with their proposal to join the league at the beginning of last year and it's great to see it ring true.
rusty34
Forum Moderator
Current Club: Mt Barker

Re: Thanks to Mount Barker United

Post by rusty34 »

Thanks Mercedes :)
The pitch at Cornerstone handles rain really well as long as it has time to drain. So by Saturday morning it was good to go.

And I passed on the thank you to the "referee". He is our treasurer too, so I hope he paid himself the $150 in ref fees.
crusader
Current Club: mount barker soccer club

Post by crusader »

he is also our A grade coach and cannot walk to well today due to over exercise
cruie

Post by cruie »

Can't walk? ... Trust me, he's that knackered he's struggling to do much lying or sitting today, nevermind walking! The last time I ambled about (I don't really run, anymore) for 180 minutes is so long ago I can't remember it ;)

(NOTE to TREASURER: $150 ... Don't tell wifey ... No more room for any more shoes ...)

Thanks for the compliments, Mercs; we work hard at it and the Cornerstone Oval is a brilliant piece of work - Think we've only had the one match called off in 3 years (and it was horizontal-sleeting, on that occasion, as the ref ran for his car!).

Seriously: Glad the club-reffing didn't spoil the game for either team. I try to stay out of it as much as possible (you will have noticed) ... and the match is notable because that's the first time I've ever booked anyone over here in Oz (poor Carl, I'll lose sleep over it for weeks!). I hope the ears of the lad who got a bit of a talking-too have recovered ;)

So, much credit to both clubs for the Div3 match. Best game of the day. Proper football, played the right way, with a bit of edge to it. And a cracking winner with about 5 minutes to go, following a goal-mouth scramble, to see Mercs off home with the 3-points; just about the right result on the balance of play. Our patched-together lot were a credit to themselves and our club.

(And yeah, I'm Div2a coach ... And the result of the final game of the day rounded things off well for me :))

Thanks to Mercs and CBC for making the long trip up - Was a good day of football in proper footballing weather :)
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Agree Buzzy... The new clubs from last year have all done well in varying degree's..
Uni SA have put out some good teams that have rightly moved up into 1A. Early problems in the lower Div's look to have setttled down now
Mount Barker have done wll and look well organised and a good club at all levels. Its actually a nice change from playing in the City although its a bit cold and wet up at altitude!
North City have improved since their first year and have become competitive which is great!
Its good to hear that the new clubs are winning plaudits and as Buzzy said, its only what we should expect from everyone but often don't get!
Having made that journey to Mount Barker for a game, the fact they confirmed the game is on after such a bad week is good manners and I also applaud them :)
More worrying is the mention that no official ref showed up..... thought that one had been put to bed!!
cruie

Post by cruie »

Squeezy Cheesey Peas wrote: More worrying is the mention that no official ref showed up..... thought that one had been put to bed!!
I'm 99% certain that's not down to the CSL ... I'll say no more about that in public

At 12:30. all 4 games did not have an official ref (again, through no fault of CSL). Over the phone, CSL (Dino) sorted one (from the city) for the 2B and 2A games ... Which was great as neither game would have been played without one.