Semi Final Thrillers

White Unicorn

Re: Semi Final Thrillers

Post by White Unicorn »

wojindows wrote:Distance the only negative - but a big one when you want supporters. Hopefully they all make it out for the final when there are no other games on.
Correct. A great opportunity for both clubs to promote the club to others who would not neccessarily attend games etc. No chance up at Burton especially with the road work upgrades coming from the western suburbs. *** ps nothing against the CSL Im sure other factors played a role like cost etc.
Totalfootball
Current Club: whites

Post by Totalfootball »

Its not that far! go live in Sydney or Melbourne and travel to games. The expressway and main roads make it simple to get to.

Its a good ground all the interstate visitors in masters were impressed and they came from the City. :)
fingers
Current Club: Unley Old Scholars

Post by fingers »

Distance is a big obstacle. Especially when the CSL are keen to have neutral supporters attending big games such as the Cup final. Cant see many neutral supporters making the 45minute trek out there...
yak

Post by yak »

Yeah agree. I'd say that everyone is impressed with the venue - grounds are good, facilities are excellent.
It's just a pity it's so far away.
I'll still make sure i get up there, but not sure the usual array of friends/family will make the trek.
Graeme Jackson

Post by Graeme Jackson »

No doubt it will be a good game and the facilities are good. Whites are getting a bus of supporters up there but I am sure there will be very few neutrals threre. Having said that, most nuetrals wouldn't go no matter where it was. I for instance would have no desire to see Mercedes vs Rostrevor in a cup final for example!
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

its hard enough getting people to come from within the competing teams let alone neutrals.

This year the CSL didnt play the carnival at the start of the year as the league has out grown it.

I would like to see top 4/5 play offs in 1A and 2A. Be in line with FFSA / FFA.

That would make 2/3 great days at a venue like Burton.

Week 1 - Top 4
1st v 2nd - Sacred Heart v Grads Red - Winner to final / Loser to play other winner.
3rd v 4th - Unley v Mercedes

Do the same for 2A. 4 games in week 1. 2 games in week 2. 2games in week 3. Extra games from other divs could be lined up in week 2/3 to get more games down there and more people attending.

Keeps season interesting as teams can still push for a finals spot if the minor premiership is beyond them.

I was never a fan of finals system when it first came in but now I like it. A league has it / Local leagues have so we should follow. Make us a bit diferent to SAASL. We have the venues that we can use so its workable.
Totalfootball

Post by Totalfootball »

Agreed,
final 5 would be good it would bring some supporters and give the 4th and 5 th spot something to play for. Be interesting how many supporters will come to Burton with Sacred Heart and Uni whites playing.
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Congratulations to Uni White on winning the cup final. Looked like a good game from what I saw and the location of the venue didn't seem to prevent a decent crowd turning up. Not sure there'll ever be a huge amount of neutral supporters regardless of where the final is played.

A finals system would make the season more interesting for a greater number of teams, but to be honest I think the current league format is the fairest. If you are top of the table after playing everyone twice, throughout all conditions, injuries, suspensions, etc, then you've been the best team over the course of the season.

A finals system across all the divisions could be an absolute nightmare to regulate/police too, given that most clubs have multiple teams. We'd need all sorts of rules about eligibilty to play for a particular team in the finals. Ground availability could become an issue too if the season was extended by a few weeks. There would be lots of factors to consider.
Totalfootball

Post by Totalfootball »

only the top league Div 1 A plays the final five, its the pinnacle of the CSL
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Or just make the clubs nominate thier teams for each Div.... easily done I would have thought...
Great idea to have the top 5 from each Div play off and would be a good day at Burton!