Div 4

INTERISTA

Re: Div 4

Post by INTERISTA »

Pembroke shouldn't have to justify why they're a successful team in Div 4.
The onus is on the other teams to improve.
If the 'lower' teams are only capable of fielding a 3rd / 4th team that concedes 90 or so goals in a season so be it.
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Problem solved......
yak

Post by yak »

i watched Pembroke's 4ths smash my boys last weekend.. None of those guys are A's players dropping down. They're mostly just young fit, strong lads & they have the benefit of 2 or 3 very good older players & they have a genuine goal scoring striker (who's played in the low grades as long as i can remember).
Perfect combination for a winning team in low grade football really.
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Thanks for sticking up for us, Yak and Chelsea! As you guys have indentified, getting the balance of your teams right is a major challenge once you have 3 or more teams. A team full of 19 year olds won't win you anything and a team full of 30+ years olds probably won't either. Mixing young players with a few experienced heads has worked well for us in the past 2 or 3 seasons, with the youngsters playing a season in divsion 3 or 4 before making a push for our A and B teams, unless they are so outstanding that they can go straight to that level. The older hands can teach them a few things along the way and help them adjust to seniors soccer.

In Pembroke's case, we've had some big wins in divsion 4 because we've had to keep pushing for goals, so we've been motivated to work hard for 90 minutes. There is a chance that the divsion title could come down to goal difference for the 2nd year in a row, so we are obviously not the only team which is winning by the odd big margin.

The suggestion that Pembroke ought to have fielded its 4th team in divsion 2B (instead of its 5th team) is an interesting point and one that our committee did give much thought to. There has been an anomally in weeks where we've played, for example, Westminster, Mt Barker or Immanuel. Their B's play our 5th team and their C's or D's have played our 4th team. But without wishing to be too disrespectful, I think the likes of Mercedes D's, Rostrevor D's and Unley D's provide stiffer competition than the vast majority of the teams in division 2B this season. If we again have a team in divsion 2B next season, we will revisit this issue though.