Current Club: whites

Re: 2013 OVER 35 s divsion

Post by Totalfootball »

make a div 5 - masters league
fingers
Current Club: Unley Old Scholars

Post by fingers »

Buzz, I reckon your oldest player still plays up the grader as well...going well too.

Same goes for Unley, with a mix of our older blokes playing down the grades or still competing in 1A & 1B. We would only have 3-4 blokes over 35, but then a lot of blokes around 30-32, probably 20 of them. So we would be at least 5 years away from an over 35 team.

We love the fact that some of the older heads play with the young guys, the experience is invaluable. Not sure there would be any interest from our old blokes about playing in an oldies league. Kind of suggests their playing career is done...they should be able to compete as high as they can for as long as they want.
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Fine line between the two....
The Div 4 set up has a two speed league with the younger fitter teams playing against the lesser talented youngsters and older blokes.
I reckon its fine to offer a masters league for the clubs as there is definitley many players out there that cannot continue to compete with te pace and ferocity that the young players can bring to the game!!
At the same time, there is no need for the older heads to be excluded from the current set up if they so choose... in fact a couple of older heads will add significant value to any team in my opinion and will provide the role models and experience to develop the young talent...
SO, no harm in a masters / Over 30's league and it could add some significant value to the existing clubs by bringing some extra 'brains' and talent into the fold maybe??
Don't write it off straight away and lets see what transpires??
yak

Post by yak »

I think the Whites could easily put an over 35 team together.. Probably an over 40 squad no worries. But our boys are spread across the teams. From A1-Div4.
I dont think any of them want to play an 'over 35 comp' - we all just play at the level that suits our fitness/commitment.
In saying that, i haven't checked with the committee.. Will wait for an official comment.
cruie

Post by cruie »

I think it's unlikely that existing clubs could create a 5th Division, to be played on a Saturday, and still put out the same number of teams that they have this season.

Mt Barker has 70 registered players (plus a number of lads who have not played this year ... but probably would again ... and most of those are no longer in the Springtime of life ;)).

4 teams has worked well for us this year (or at least, has worked). 5 will be more of a stretch ... though we do think we can probably make it happen if the currently unregistered players are interested, come the new season.

As a very (VERY) old bloke myself, there's more chance of me getting some one to pull on my boots for me, in a competition where I am at least half-as-quick as anyone else on the pitch! But the rest of the old-timers at our club have found a place somewhere in D2-D4 this year (without too many complaints).

Given numbers - many clubs currently only have 2 or 3 teams, not 4 - I think it might be better - as a trial - to alter the eligiblity requirements for D4 and see how it goes? Like many above we also tend to mix the experienced heads with the kiddies ... So something along the lines of an O30-U18 league would be a good first go at it?

For the record, Mt Barker's oldest player is 50 ... and our youngest 2 are 17. Our average age is 23 (two-thirds of our registered players are U23).