2012 CSL CLUB Rankings

cruie

2012 CSL CLUB Rankings

Post by cruie »

Hello All,

(I thought I'd start a new Topic, just to save any mither ;))

The forum won't do tables ... So I can only make these readable if I do them as PDF files (linked from our club site).

Please note, this isn't official CSL Material. It is collated from CSL Information published on this website.

How it's worked out
The formula is simple. I consolidate all 4 Division League Tables, for the twenty-clubs who took part in the CSL League Competition for 2012, then divide each CLUB'S Total by the Total Number of games played (last column shows you the number of teams each club fielded).

That gives me an AVERAGE Points per Game and Goal-Difference per Game - Which is how the table is ranked.

You can make up your own mind what, if anything, it shows. I believe it shows the efficiency of a club: How well a club utilised the resources available to it and ultimately which club was most successful at doing just that.

So congrats to Windsor Gardens for getting the very best out of the setup they have.

(If you are going to make a comment, please try and keep it "positive", or keep it within your own club - Thanks :))

The Reports
The FULL Table
The Mini Table (easier to read, but a bit less info)

Overall CSL Stats
  • We played 540 games: 468 wins (and defeats!) and 72 draws.
  • We scored 2463 goals (2.28 goals per game)
  • There was a very slight home advantage: 250 home-wins against 218 wins for the away team (72 draws). And 1271 goals scored by the home-team compared to 1192 for the away-side.

Cruie's CLUB of the Year
An easy one for me. Westminster.

An outstanding performance from a three club team (D2A, D2B and D4), to achieve 2 out of every 3 points available, across the 54 games, is very creditable indeed. Well done boys, a thoroughly deserved promotion - Hope you can make as good an impression up in D1A in 2013.

Hope everyone has a good summer - See you all in 2013. :D
Balotelli
Current Club: Windsor Gardens

Re: 2012 CSL CLUB Rankings

Post by Balotelli »

That's an interesting concept Cruie, good stuff.

I would say that Sacred Heart out performed Westminster by some distance though - they won divisions 1A and 1B, they reached the cup final and their 3rd team was a lot more competitive than Westminster's 3rd team, in a higher division too. Windsor and Westminster had great seasons by all accounts, but divisions 1A and 1B are a big step up from 2A and 2B. Winning 1A and 1B in the same year (and in such a competitive season) is an amazing effort by Sacred Heart.
cruie

Post by cruie »

Balotelli wrote:That's an interesting concept Cruie, good stuff.

I would say that Sacred Heart out performed Westminster by some distance though - they won divisions 1A and 1B, they reached the cup final and their 3rd team was a lot more competitive than Westminster's 3rd team, in a higher division too. Windsor and Westminster had great seasons by all accounts, but divisions 1A and 1B are a big step up from 2A and 2B. Winning 1A and 1B in the same year (and in such a competitive season) is an amazing effort by Sacred Heart.
There's a very infamous quote about statistics ... Well, there's a few; but I think the one that is most applicable here is that you can make them say whatever you want them to say.

First thing to note is that there is an incredibly small difference between Westies performance and SHOC. 0.06 of a point per game. That is nothing. But the two are an interesting comparison (Div1a and 1b champions versus D2A Runners-Up and D2B Champions). I'm a great believer in the phrase that you can only beat what is put in front of you, and both of those clubs did exactly that in winning their championships. However, both struggled with their third teams.

Compare them to Mercs. Statistically, across the board, Mercs have had a better season than either of them. But they have only won D3 (of the 4 they competed in). If I were Mercs I would be praising the strength in depth of the club (internally they may have different views about what the table shows - including a view that it shows nothing much at all ... there are people at our club who would say exactly that!).

SHOC have had a fantastic season - as Title-Holders and Cup Runners up ... but statistically, they have not utilised the resources of their club as well as Mercs. Now, if you go and ask both clubs who had the better season, I'm pretty sure both would agree that SHOC did ... But - statistically, over the whole - it's not quite true.

Second thing to say; this way of looking at the performance over the year has an under-lying assumption - That each team (within each club) is competing "at the correct level for their ability". And so it is very possible to look at the results and pull out clubs where this MIGHT not have been true. Windsor Gardens is a very easy example to pick on (probably with some justification). You've picked out Westminster as another who has benefitted from that, Balotelli ... Personally, having been part of a club that played in D2A, I don't think they have played below their level. I think they have been incredibly impressive within their level. They beat us (Mt Barker) 3-2 at their place and 1-3 at our place. 6-3 on average isn't what I would call an easy ride, just very impressive (and they lost to Norwood ... more on them in a moment).

Norwood, statistically the best 2-team Club. And quite definately the team hardest to score against in D2A!! Now, Norwood won nothing at all ... And they are far from the only club in that boat - but they have had a very impressive season and if I were a member of their coaching-team I would be very pleased indeed. With the small number of resources at their disposal they have competed very well indeed (I think).

So this isn't about who won the trophies - It's the exact opposite of that. Uni-White won the cup, this year and so I would imagine are happier with their season than we were. But look at the figures in the table ... Should they be?? It's not a statement, it's a question - One that can only be answered if you go to interview the people behind both clubs.

Another question: From the statistics, it appears that the most difficult number of teams to operate (to get the very best out of) is TWO. Why would this be?

Thanks for the comments, Balotelli ... I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, it's just food for thought. And - like all statistics - can be used to demonstrate almost anything you want ;)
Last edited by cruie on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yak

Post by yak »

Really interesting reading.. & as a Uni White.. there was an incredible feeling winning the cup. But across the board i think your stats really tell the story - We were average!

ps: fav quote re stats: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies & statistics"
cruie

Post by cruie »

yak wrote:Really interesting reading.. & as a Uni White.. there was an incredible feeling winning the cup. But across the board i think your stats really tell the story - We were average!
Yeah, I left the cup out of it completely. I do have an club-internal version that includes it, but I don't think it makes for as good a comparison tool as just the leagues (which is what these figures reflect). And leaving it out does bring home the nature of the seperate cup competition - It is different and it's great when it is won by someone other than the League Champions.

"An average season"?
yak wrote:ps: fav quote re stats: "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies & statistics"
Says it all, really, yak ;)
Totalfootball
Current Club: whites

Post by Totalfootball »

interesting as if a club is performing well but realizes they cant win the league, switching to winning the cup isn't a bad option. i guess its a matter of consistency versus performing teams

Great work on the stats, very interesting. Some raising of the bar across all the teams to get a higher rank, certainly for Whites the GK's had a great effect on all teams
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Cruie, that is really interesting, well done. I think you should join the CSL Executive Committee. There is quite a bit of record keeping which we do and it looks as though you would be interested and profficient at it.

I agree that you can only beat what's put in front if you, but nonetheless perhaps a model which gave some sort of weighting to results achieved in higher divisions would be good. So a club with 3 teams should have its A grade results worth more than its B and C grade results and so forth.
cruie

Post by cruie »

Ross30 wrote:Cruie, that is really interesting, well done. I think you should join the CSL Executive Committee. There is quite a bit of record keeping which we do and it looks as though you would be interested and profficient at it.

I agree that you can only beat what's put in front if you, but nonetheless perhaps a model which gave some sort of weighting to results achieved in higher divisions would be good. So a club with 3 teams should have its A grade results worth more than its B and C grade results and so forth.
Yeah, I have a (much) more complex one that does weight ... but there's then just a massive debate about the weighting.

The easy example I can give to say why it is "no more clear" if you add weightings is: Which is worth MORE? A win in Division 3 or a Win in Division 1B???
It is things like that - which I'm unable to resolve to my own satisfaction - that means I end up going with the "basic, straight up stats". Each club reading into them what they want (looking deeper into how theirs and others stats have been achieved) is the intention of this report.

TotalFootball's reply sort of helps makes this point ... A club may consider a particular position has been their "weak point" OR a club may consider that the decision to field 5 teams was too much for them, or that fielding only 3, not 4, has adversely effected their overall performance.. That is, I would imagine, for their internal consumption only. I know our Management-Team will look at it over the closed season.

(Put another way; even SHOC can improve ;))

(CSL Executive. I hope we are able to persuade an equally committed member of our club to be more involved with the Exec in 2013 - if he is still with us - I'd struggle with the time commitment coupled with the work I do at our club. But maybe there's something I can chip in with ... Ask me in 2013 when I forgot about all the work in 2012!! ;))

Cheers for the comments.
White Unicorn

Post by White Unicorn »

Well down Cruie some interesting points. Maybe next year we could have a club championship award, lose points etc for yellow and red cards?
Also, on another topic, do the champions of the league get medals or a cup? Pretty average in my opinion, a bit of reward for the players that put in the effort and win wouldnt go astray.

Mod: Please keep on topic. I have split your question to a new thread: http://www.collegiatesoccerleague.com.a ... ?f=7&t=191
Last edited by wojindows on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
dfents

Post by dfents »

Yes, Mercedes are incredibly consistent and always hard to beat in every division.
But now a special shout-out to the Pembroke canary lads who have scored the most goals and collected the most points overall – nice werk!