Referees That Don't Turn Up

crusader
Current Club: mount barker soccer club

Re: Referees That Don't Turn Up

Post by crusader »

Abuse of referees is nothing new, in fact it starts from the top in South Australia (as an example). I've been to a few NPL games this year and the amount of crap the referee takes verbally is amazing. I am guessing the difference here is they seemed to know the person personally. The constant yelling of "heeeyyy!!!" when something happens, whether fair or not is amazing. We imitate the people at the top, so I think it's not simply a simple case of finger pointing around us.
yak

Post by yak »

No referee this week for Uni SA vs Uni Whites (Div 4), we were notified prior to the game which is good.
But i was surprised we weren't given a ref considering Uni SA had 2 players sent off the week before.
The good news was, Uni SA provided a ref from within the club for the game & he did an excellent job. Always nice to see.
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Whilst on a positive vein... Unley had to provide a ref a few weeks back for a lower Div game and he was excellent..... maybe something in the mutual respect thing?
Having played SAASL with club refs, the fundamental fdifference was that the 'fill in' ref was not biased in any manner and gave what he saw....
Is that a function of them doing it as one offs, where they feel the scrutiny or just decent people doing a good job?
Gygaz
Current Club: Pultney

Post by Gygaz »

Mercedes4 v Pultney4.. Had a ref turn up but Mercedes other team didn't so the ref was moved over to the other game.
4 games played this season, only 2 refs have turned up so far.. Not really good enough
nobody

Post by nobody »

No that isn't good enough, but according to the people in charge we do not have a problem with referees.
Was there a referee allocated to the game? And if so, did he inform anyone that he was unable to make it. There are circumstances and situations that are beyond anyone's control. But 2 out of 4 sound poor and I would be asking for answers if it happened to us.
On a POSITIVE note our referee was great on the weekend. Well done for finding good referees to officiate our games because it make everything so much better.......unfortunately this does not extend to the previous weeks ref who was the complete opposite. But you have to take the good with the bad!!!
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Referees were appointed to all CSL games on the weekend, but unfortunately that doesn't guarantee that they will turn up in all instances. At least one delegate from each club is emailed the list of referee appointments on a Friday night, so ask your club delegate if you're curious about whether referees were or were not appointed to particular games.

The 2 referees who did all the Unley v Pembroke games on the weekend each refereed 3 games, so a big thank you to them for doing that.
buzzy

Post by buzzy »

Gygaz wrote:Mercedes4 v Pultney4.. Had a ref turn up but Mercedes other team didn't so the ref was moved over to the other game.
4 games played this season, only 2 refs have turned up so far.. Not really good enough
To clarify...all four Mercedes home games last weekend were allocated a referee. The referee assigned to 1A and 1B was a no show. We had a suspicion this would occur and therefore had a qualified FFSA referee on standby. At 12:50 we asked the referee appointed to division 3 and 4 if he would do 1A and 1B as those games were the priority. He agreed, we had a club ref do the first half of the division 4 match against Pulteney (kicking off only 15 minutes late) and our backup ref arrived in time to do the second half of the division 4 game and the full division 3 game. Both referees hung around for a drink after their respective games when invited.

I contacted the FFSA on Sunday morning and received a swift and acceptable response from Nathan.
nobody

Post by nobody »

It is great to see that clubs are being proactive and trying to resolve any problems.
It is also fantastic that there were referees allocated to all games, it is all we have ever asked. We as players sincerely appreciate it.
As for no show referees, we have no control over it so we will never be able to fix it. And with the csl getting an acceptable response immediately from the FFSA, which is all we ask.
Well done to the referees who did three games.
Looks like everything is progressing well which puts a big smile on many people. If this is the theme for the rest of the season, getting allocated a referee for every game, then I will happily admit I was wrong with my earlier allegations.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

The referee assigned to 1A and 1B was a no show. We had a suspicion this would occur and therefore had a qualified FFSA referee on standby.

Buzzy - Why did you suspect that the ref wouldnt turn up?

We had no referee allocated in a Division 3 game a few weeks back. We asked the Divsion 4 Ref to step up to Div 3. He refsused.

Good to see that that ref stepped up in your games to cover the most important games.
Gygaz
Current Club: Pultney

Post by Gygaz »

buzzy wrote:
Gygaz wrote:Mercedes4 v Pultney4.. Had a ref turn up but Mercedes other team didn't so the ref was moved over to the other game.
To clarify...all four Mercedes home games last weekend were allocated a referee. The referee assigned to 1A and 1B was a no show. We had a suspicion this would occur and therefore had a qualified FFSA referee on standby. At 12:50 we asked the referee appointed to division 3 and 4 if he would do 1A and 1B as those games were the priority. He agreed, we had a club ref do the first half of the division 4 match against Pulteney (kicking off only 15 minutes late) and our backup ref arrived in time to do the second half of the division 4 game and the full division 3 game. Both referees hung around for a drink after their respective games when invited.

I contacted the FFSA on Sunday morning and received a swift and acceptable response from Nathan.

To be fair to Mercedes they were very proactive in fixing the problem, and the club ref who did the first half was excellent. No complaints at all and plenty of respect shown from both teams.
I guess the question needs to go back to the CSL/FFSA as to why refs with a history of not turning up keep getting assigned matches?