Referees That Don't Turn Up

Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Referees That Don't Turn Up

Post by Ross30 »

If clubs are minded to do so, it would be interesting to record on the forum any instances where referees are appointed but fail to turn up this season. Clubs should let Dino know of course, and he will advise FFSA. But given that the problem keeps occuring regularly it would be useful to keep our own statistics in case FFSA does nothing about it. It will also give clubs a heads up if they see that the referee appointed to their game has a history of not showing up.

Hopefully there were no other cases on the weekend just gone, but for the Cup 1st round referee Lakis Tselekidis did not turn up for the 2 Pembroke home games.
buzzy

Re: Referees That Don't Turn Up

Post by buzzy »

Ross, are you sure it's fair to be posting names on this forum?

I can imagine your frustration at the weekend but what if there was an acceptable reason for the referee not turning up (emergency, family issue etc)?

What about a process where clubs report no-shows to the league and it is handled from there? I know it is one more job the executive committee doesn't need but it's just as easy for clubs to put the referee's name in an email as it is to post it on this forum. This way it could be followed up through the right channels to see if there was an acceptable reason for their no-show.

I just don't think referees need any more negativity aimed at them unless the circumstances have been confirmed - for example, what is the first thing I'm going to think if I see the referee you've named appointed to a Mercedes game next weekend?!
No.8

Post by No.8 »

Hi Buzz. That is a fair point. I'm not intending to incite a mutiny against particular referees and I fully accept that there may be very good reasons why a particular referee doesn't attend a game on a particular day - they could even have been assigned to a game in another competition at late notice. Some form of communciation from them or FFSA to say they cannot attend would be the very least to expect though. The referees should be given the club delegates' phone numbers.

Club delegates are sent the names of the referees appointed to their games and, from my experience, last year there was a possible trend of certain referees being more likely not to turn up, or to turn up late. The CSL was notified of this and Dino would let FFSA know on each occassion, but often the issue would occur again in the coming weeks. It's bad enough for the likes of me who have been on the Exec Committee and have an inckling it may happen, but it's even worse for clubs that wouldn't have a clue whether their referee is likely to show up or not. Some teams stuggle to field enough substitutes to have someone run the line, let alone come up with a referee without any advance notice. Not many players, coaches or supporters are willing to step in and referee a game.

Given that the club delegates receive the names of the appointed referees anyway, there may be no need to name the referees, as you suggest. If clubs state which games the referees did not show up for, the delegates can work out who it was if they wish.

But I am curious to know whether there will be some trends which will emerge and CSL clubs will probably need to keep their own statistics to monitor this and, if necessary, keep FFSA accountable. If clubs say which games referees did not turn up for on the forum (and let Dino know via email too), I'm happy to work out if there are any repeat offendors.
No.8

Post by No.8 »

FYI, "No.8" would appear to be an automatic login for Pembroke on the forum, so Ross30 and No.8 are one and the same person!
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Pulteney 4 v Mount Barker 4
No ref turned up and a couple of penalties given that weren't
Didn't change the overall result and in fairness, a stand in ref does what he can but thats the issue when refs don't show :(
Ross30

Post by Ross30 »

No referees for the div 3 and 4 games between Uni White and Pembroke today. Don't know whether referees were assigned to those games or not as no email was sent out this week regarding referee appointments. Thank you to the Uni White guys who did 3/4 of the refereeing for those games.
Brendan
Current Club: Mt Barker

Post by Brendan »

One question that players asked me today at the Pulteney 4 v Barker 4 game was - 'Are players insured if a stand in referee take charge of the game?". Its annoying, because there was no e-mail to say there wasn't a referee assigned last night and I DO think it would have impacted the outcome of the game.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

ROCSC 3 vs Unley 3 - 13th April - No Ref

THis game didnt get a ref. Not sure if there was an allocation as clubs didnt receive email.

Both coaches did a half each. Both did a good job. All players gave them the respect they deserved. Credit to all the players. They didnt get all the calls but they were consistent and fair.

I think clubs need to start getting for these situations more often. Speaking to one of the referees on the weekend he was telling me that ref numbers are down. Its not just the CSL that are missing out but also the local mens league and juniors on Sunday who are all under the FFSA umbrella. We can complain but what about parents that are paying up to $800 a season for their kids to play and then no refs turn up to their games.

The simple fact is that people dont want to referee.

I think the CSL should look at starting to create its own pool of Refs.
If every club could provide 1 person that would be a big help. Those refs could always do matches that dont involve their clubs.

I am sure this will be discussed further as the weeks go along but at the moment clubs need to stay on their feet and be ready when these things happen.
Guess the next response will be that it is the CSL's fault.
Ross30

Post by Ross30 »

In answer to one question above, I'm pretty sure that players are still insured if there is no official referee at the game.

I've heard conflciting reports about how many referees are available. I suspect that at least part of the problem lies with the allocation side of things (which is done by FFSA, not the CSL). It was much better many years ago when the referees' association scheduled the refereeing appointments.

I agree with Chelsea that clubs unfortunately need to be prepared and have back-up plans for refereeing games themselves. Easier said than done. But hopefully FFSA realises that if such a situation becomes the norm there will be virtually no reason for the CSL to remain affiliated with them and pay them money for nothing. We may as well then set up our own pool of referees and pay them a bit more per game with the money we'd be saving.
crusader
Current Club: mount barker soccer club

Post by crusader »

The example given about insurance related to the reason why we are forced not to play against SAASL clubs in pre-season because we won't have official referees. This seems to conflict with this scenario.