[split from Referees That Don't Turn Up] Referee Pool

avagoyamug
Current Club: Sacret Heart

[split from Referees That Don't Turn Up] Referee Pool

Post by avagoyamug »

Anyone got the idea of the actual amount of referees we have in the pool?

With the league growing with more entries and bigger divs, they may be really stretched thin. Wonder how many refs we have all up?
nobody

Re: Referees That Don't Turn Up

Post by nobody »

We better get prepared for no referees on more occasions this year. As I mentioned a couple of years ago, in my opinion, official referees are not a priority of the league. I think it wasn't considered when deciding to expand the competition and they are looking along the lines of club appointed referees. The problem is having official FFSA referees is what makes our competition stand out and gives it integrity.
Then again I could be wrong and the FFSA have found an extra 8-10 referees this year!!!!
avagoyamug
Current Club: Sacret Heart

Post by avagoyamug »

nobody wrote:We better get prepared for no referees on more occasions this year. As I mentioned a couple of years ago, in my opinion, official referees are not a priority of the league. I think it wasn't considered when deciding to expand the competition and they are looking along the lines of club appointed referees. The problem is having official FFSA referees is what makes our competition stand out and gives it integrity.
Then again I could be wrong and the FFSA have found an extra 8-10 referees this year!!!!
Ugh, club appointed referees. Just like back in the SAASL with the B's teams getting cheated every week by a bias ref and combating the linesmen as well!

Hopefully this doesnt happen because part of the drawcard as you said the official refs which is a huge drawcard compared to the SAASL side.

In my time at the CSL (3+ seasonsnow) though I dont think I've seen a new ref yet?
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Ok, this is getting off topic already.

To clarify a few things:

1. Even though we've expanded to an extra division we only have 4 more teams than last year. That means that, at most, we will typically require an extra 2 referees per week compared to last year. However, if more referees are willing to do 2 games then potentially no greater number of referees are required. Last year, when referees did not turn up it was often on a week where they had been assigned only one game (ie Scotch had a regular problem with that issue last year, as did Pembroke's 5th team).

2. Official referees are a priority of the league and always have been. To say otherwise is just stirring trouble or just plain wrong. There would be practically no other justifiable reason to pay FFSA the money that we do if we did not have official referees (insurance is the other "advantage", but it is irrelevant to the majority of players who have private health insurance or who play for an Adelaide Uni team).

3. On the weekend just gone, referees were appointed to all CSL matches except 2. Referees not being appointed to matches is one issue to be addressed. I am sure that a better system on FFSA's part would solve that problem.

4. Referees being appointed and not showing up is a separate issue, which is the purpose of this topic. The Pembroke games I referred to above had a referee appointed yet he did not show up. I'm interested to know how regularly that occurs and whether it's the same referees or the same clubs that are affected.

5. There have been plenty of new referees coming into the CSL in the last 2 - 3 seasons, as anyone playing in the lower divisions can testify. The referees appointed to the higher divisions have probably not changed much in that time though as the newer referees either need to gain experience in lower divisions or, if they are really good, get fast tracked beyond the CSL pretty quickly. Unfortunately not many of us are elite players, so we don't tend to get elite referees.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Good response
I just want the league to be aware of the importance in having official referees for every match. They have to keep on top of it and make it a weekly priority. There is nothing worse than not having a referee for a game. They must realise it doesn't matter how many teams you have, if you don't have referees you don't have a competition. It is what sets us apart from the amateurs.
buzzy

Re: [split from Referees That Don't Turn Up] Referee Pool

Post by buzzy »

I think it's quite clear when the chairman of the league himself goes out and gets referee qualifications in order to officiate matches that the league considers having an official at every single fixture a high priority!
nobody

Post by nobody »

Fantastic....I'm looking forward to getting a referee allocated to every game this year.
buzzy

Post by buzzy »

I think it's great when clubs take a proactive approach. In recent seasons, we have focused on always trying to ensure that our home ground is welcoming to opposition players, supporters and referees. Unley do the same for us each year when hosting their Ladies Day despite the fact we are the fiercest of rivals on the pitch. This is born out of mutual respect for other clubs who are effectively trying to achieve the exact same outcomes that your own club is. I made an effort last year when paying referees before the game to actually engage in a conversation with them and let them know they were welcome to our BBQ/drinks after the match. Later in the year I had comments from referees saying they enjoyed officiating games at our home ground because of things like this.

Another thing that I've never liked our players having to do is run the line alone in front of opposition supporters. For this reason, we request that opposition teams set up camp in certain areas at our ground which will help avoid this. I am also still working on a program where our club can subsidise a referee course for someone who will then be a permanent referee's assistant at all our home games. This will most likely be aimed at a senior school student and will only succeed if everyone involved looks at it positively - no school student is going to want to come out and run the lines for $40 if they are being abused every week!

I was one of the biggest critics of the refereeing situation in 2011 as it affected our club greatly in the opening weeks of the season. It was clear that the league made a concerted effort in the off-season to fix the problem ahead of 2012. As far as I recall, we had ZERO incidents last season concerning non-appointment or no-shows of referees. Clubs need to take some responsibility for improving the league as well. It only takes attendance at one CSL meeting before you realise the league is doing a fantastic job of improving it's blueprint each year, ESPECIALLY given it is all done on a volunteer basis by the members of the executive committee.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Looks like I was right....not enough referees for our expanded competition.
It is only round 2 and guess what, the Windsor game has not been allocated a referee. What a joke!!! Obviously div 2a isn't important and doesn't require referees. Even though I was told there wouldn't be a problem with referees. Someone forgot to count the number of referees available for the amount of games played every week....a small oversight. Doesn't it make sense to allocate referees to all div 1,2,3 games first if there is a shortage?
Can anyone tell me how many games haven't been allocated referees?