The Champions 2013

cruie

Re: The Champions 2013

Post by cruie »

Ross30 wrote:If divisions 3, 4 and 5 could be expanded from 8 teams to 10 teams then the teams in those divisions would play less games (i.e. they'd play each other twice over 18 weeks, instead of playing each other 3 times over 21 weeks). So more teams could actually help, if each division ended up with 10 teams. And the fixtures would be easier to do if teams in all divisions played the other teams the same number of times. This year was really tough in that regard.

However, a greater number of teams would mean more referees would be required. And more pitches would be required.

It would be great to see the likes of Gleeson and St Peters come back to the CSL, but only if they bring all of their teams with them, rather than fielding some in the SAASL and some in the CSL. That caused problems in the past.
I think the size of potential entrants is part of the issue?

Only D1 and D2 have "Reserve" Leagues ... Assuming it stays like that for 2014, then any new club is presumably going to want to play in Div2 and Div2b (assuming it is not a one-team club, when D3 might be more appropriate?).

They may also make up numbers in D3-D5, if they have more than 2 teams, but 12 teams in D2 (22 games) is going to be stretching things to the absolute limit.
boots
Current Club: Blacks

Post by boots »

In terms of rising number of fixtures, I would imagine that beginning the season earlier should address that issue?
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

I think you'll find that if the CSL gets to the stage where it has 20 clubs with 2 or more teams, the A and B teams from those clubs will form divs 1A/1B and 2A/2B, with each of those divisions having 10 teams. I don't think there will be any appetite to have more than 10 teams in any of those divsions.

If and when that does occur, clubs with only one team will be at risk of not being in those divisions, or not being permitted to participate in the CSL at all if they have no plans to expand to 2 teams or more in the next season or two. That topic was discussed at length at the CSL AGM earlier this year. So, if new multi-team clubs come into the CSL, the numbers of teams in divisions 3, 4 and 5 may be bolstered by (a) any clubs with one team dropping down, (b) the divsion 2B teams who were paired with the one team clubs dropping down (ie Unley &/or Pembroke 2B's) and (c) any 3rd, 4th, etc teams that the new clubs have. Existing CSL clubs may also increase their number of teams, for example I hear that Mercedes may enter a 5th team in 2014.

If we get to the stage where there are more than 20 clubs with 2 or more teams then there'll be a debate as to what happens then.

I doubt there is much scope to start the season any earlier than we currently do. Until the cricket season is finished a large number of CSL clubs' grounds are unavailable. Even when we start the season there are usually a few clubs that still cannot host home games for the first one or two weeks of the season.
cruie

Post by cruie »

Ross30 wrote:I think you'll find that if the CSL gets to the stage where it has 20 clubs with 2 or more teams, the A and B teams from those clubs will form divs 1A/1B and 2A/2B, with each of those divisions having 10 teams. I don't think there will be any appetite to have more than 10 teams in any of those divsions.

If and when that does occur, clubs with only one team will be at risk of not being in those divisions, or not being permitted to participate in the CSL at all if they have no plans to expand to 2 teams or more in the next season or two. That topic was discussed at length at the CSL AGM earlier this year. So, if new multi-team clubs come into the CSL, the numbers of teams in divisions 3, 4 and 5 may be bolstered by (a) any clubs with one team dropping down, (b) the divsion 2B teams who were paired with the one team clubs dropping down (ie Unley &/or Pembroke 2B's) and (c) any 3rd, 4th, etc teams that the new clubs have. Existing CSL clubs may also increase their number of teams, for example I hear that Mercedes may enter a 5th team in 2014.

If we get to the stage where there are more than 20 clubs with 2 or more teams then there'll be a debate as to what happens then.
That was sort of my point. CSL is at 18 2+ team clubs now, isnt it?

Two more two-club teams and the top two divisions are "full". How and of what the other Divisions are made up, isn't really the point; as no promotion relegation occurs between or from/to them.

I agree a debate for when it happens, but that might well be next season, or the season after that (two rumoured for 2014??)
Ross30 wrote: I doubt there is much scope to start the season any earlier than we currently do. Until the cricket season is finished a large number of CSL clubs' grounds are unavailable. Even when we start the season there are usually a few clubs that still cannot host home games for the first one or two weeks of the season.
Agreed. And much finishing later would also cause issues.