The Champions 2013

chelsea

The Champions 2013

Post by chelsea »

Season 2013 is all finished. Cup final still to be played to determine last winner.

Winners
1A - Pembroke
1B - Mercedes
2A - Immanuel
2B - Pembroke
3 - Pembroke
4 - Rostrevor
5 - Mt Barker

Cup - Grads Red 1A or Mt Barker 2A

Looking at the winners list, the list doesnt lie. All these teams deserve a championship. Well done to all the teams.

Cup Finalists - Good luck - Both very good teams who deserve something from 2013.

Pembroke will compete in the SA amateur championships. Good luck to them and hopefully they can go all the way. Winner of SA plays WA. Held over the October longweekend. Back to training for the boys after all the drinking.

Club of the year - Pembroke - Took home 3 championships. Well done but they will be the hunted ones in 2014. Its up to the rest to lift in 2014.

Good to see many championships decided on the last day of the year. 1A / 1B / 5
cruie

Re: The Champions 2013

Post by cruie »

chelsea wrote:...
Good to see many championships decided on the last day of the year. 1A / 1B / 5
And Div3 ...

2A / 2B / D4 were decided a week (or quite a bit longer ;) ) ago

Couple that with the winning margins (in all but Div4) and it shows you how competitive it is, across 60 odd teams from 20 clubs :)
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

Apologies - Yes Div 3 also went down to the last game. So from 7 leagues. 4 were decided on the last day.

Div 4 was competitive this year. Rostrevor still played many tight games.

The key to any team is to keep the same players out there each week. My team had 53 different palyers take the park this year. That is when things break down as you can never build momentum with the same group of guys.

Its no excuse as all teams go through it. Especially the lower teams.
Zorro's best mate
Current Club: Adelaide Olympia

Post by Zorro's best mate »

Dead right.... the teams that can play a consistent 11 get that extra advantage relative to their capability....
Each Div has been really tight and even some of the teams that have done poorly in terms of points and position were no roll overs...
A couple of teams struggled towards the end with loss of players, North City especially seemed to nose dive after putting out a storming team early on.
Was also interesting to see a couple of good teams struggle at the same time as having larger than average disciplnary problems.
Grads Red and WG both copped a fair amount of suspensions for whatever reasons which must hav ehad an effect on their respective title challenges?
Look forward to next year and any news on any new teams?
INTERISTA

Post by INTERISTA »

I thought Gleeson were still interested in joing the CSL & a mega romour has it that St Peters is also considering a move back to the CSL.
Zorro's best mate

Gleeson would be an interesting one but I love the St peters rumour!!
That would be a big "in' for the CSL and when you look at some of the shenanigans in the SAASL at the moment, could be some mileage in it to boot!
More rumours would be nice :)
cruie

Post by cruie »

chelsea wrote:Apologies - Yes Div 3 also went down to the last game. So from 7 leagues. 4 were decided on the last day.

Div 4 was competitive this year. Rostrevor still played many tight games.

The key to any team is to keep the same players out there each week. My team had 53 different palyers take the park this year. That is when things break down as you can never build momentum with the same group of guys.

Its no excuse as all teams go through it. Especially the lower teams.
No offense was intended to Rostrevor's D4 side (or anyone else in D4). As I said while congratulating them as they walked off the pitch at our place, last Saturday, 19-1-1 is some record, whatever level, whoever is in the team.

And the game on Saturday was a tight affair, 'Barker were 2-0 up at one point ... coming back to win it 2-3 shows a little bit of why 'Trevor finished 19-1-1

New Teams: Would be great, but the calendar is getting a little bit full (especially when you look at the number of "catch up games" that were needed this time).

There are already few "spare Saturdays" and mid-season holidays are, I think, a good thing (even if only for one week) and there were few weeks off in the larger divisions this time around (21 games for D3 et al).

I guess that means there is a little bit of room in Divs 1 and 2 (18 games), but like I say, I do think a break (or a couple of breaks) is a good idea (player holidays and injury recovery).

At some point another division would need to be created, I think? That would solve the time issue, but still leave clubs with a potential space issue (and the CSL Committee with more hassle on the fixture front).

That's not to say more teams - and so more football - wouldn't be great; just needs careful thought/planning :)
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

If divisions 3, 4 and 5 could be expanded from 8 teams to 10 teams then the teams in those divisions would play less games (i.e. they'd play each other twice over 18 weeks, instead of playing each other 3 times over 21 weeks). So more teams could actually help, if each division ended up with 10 teams. And the fixtures would be easier to do if teams in all divisions played the other teams the same number of times. This year was really tough in that regard.

However, a greater number of teams would mean more referees would be required. And more pitches would be required.

It would be great to see the likes of Gleeson and St Peters come back to the CSL, but only if they bring all of their teams with them, rather than fielding some in the SAASL and some in the CSL. That caused problems in the past.
Zorro's best mate

Agreed....
21 games was a little tough in some of the Divs especially with the status of pitches in the rain!! The back log of games I reckon was nearly all due to that 21 game roster in 3,4 and 5 which gave no time for catch ups on a Saturday. Floodlit pitchs are like rocking horse poo and good ones even rarer!
See what happens,,,
Last edited by Zorro's best mate on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cruie

Post by cruie »

Zorro's best mate wrote: Oh ,and being mischievous only, I believe Rostrevor 4 were down 2-1 until the oppostion had 2 players sent off?? That would definitley help ;)
I'm thinking that was 'Trevor D3?

;)