Pitch conditions

DMW

Pitch conditions

Post by DMW »

How many games will be postponed this week due to unplayable pitches?

Which clubs have the best decks and what pitches need a bit more work?
chelsea

Re: Pitch conditions

Post by chelsea »

Rostrevor v Immanuel - 4 games have already been moved from Rostrevor to West Beach.

The weather is causing caos for fixtures. Not just CSL but the NPL. Ony a week ago some clubs cancelled all their juniors games on a Sunday.

Clubs are already being told that they cant train on grounds.

We need 2 weeks of dry weather just for the pitches to get a break and let ground staff do their work.
White Unicorn

Post by White Unicorn »

So...are games going ahead this weekend? Has any matches been moved?
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Uni White v Mt Barker div 3 & 4 have been postponed already. Their A and B grade games are scheduled to go ahead, with one game per pitch.

I'm not aware of any other games having been postponed yet but I'll be surprised if there are not more.

Clubs and the CSL are doing what they can, but this week there is less availability to move games to Barratt Reserve, West Beach as FFSA apparently has some of the pitches there for junior games due to Burton being unavailable.
LGA

Post by LGA »

Gee we are precious these days. 4 flags, 2 teams, 2 goals and a ball is all you need. People and clubs looking for excuses to not play or not risk losing. I know the uni white coach had a crack at our pitch a few weeks ago 'Unley' and lost 2 nil, then played on a perfect surface against Mercedes on Saturday and got pantsed 4 nil. Conditions are uncontrollable, performance is controllable.

Play what you get given and get on with it.
MickyP21
Current Club: Norwood

Post by MickyP21 »

LGA the decision to cancel games are not done lightly. Soccer is pretty much a waste of time if the pitch is nothing but mud, which was the case for Norwood last week. It's not like footy where the ball is generally played in the air and players can use their hands.
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Yeh... bit rich... Most teams with reasonable pitches have grounds keepers who make these decsions on the pitches...especially as most clubs are tenants.

I wouldn't guess Unley have a grounds keeper helping them make that decsion....
The game can't be played on bogs although it can be played over badly covered cricket strips in your case :)
LGA

Post by LGA »

Better than sand squeezy.... And if you play at the new pitch at west beach that artificial surface is exactly what covers our cricket pitch.

Mire excuses to me, we played in a tough pitch today and got done in both grades by a better Grads red on the day. We move on and hope to win next week. Don't compare footy because it is a different game!

As for groundskeepers.... Don't get me started!

Be better players and play on better surfaces if you are that worried, otherwise spoon of cement and enjoy playing the amateur level we are playing at on under prepared and under resources pitches.
hanners
Current Club: CSL Div 1

Post by hanners »

No changing rooms makes the whole league a bit of a massive let down. I see players getting changed in cars and under tree's, ready for a game we all love. Its sad and the league will never be appealing to the top SA teams because of this.

I watch many games and the quality is good, but most amateur league teams have changing rooms to talk tactics and shower after.'.. etc. How many teams actually host the away team correctly.... 10%? Dowt it...
adelaidegreen

Post by adelaidegreen »

Yes there are bad pitch conditions at the moment and all you can do is get on with what you have and remember the other team have to play in the same conditions. Unfortunately bad pitches generally have an impact on the better players in teams who struggle to use the ball in wet boggy muddy s%£t conditions. The game becomes scrappy and ugly to watch but you just get on with it. West Beach is a freak venue which is always perfect pitch wise. I respect Immanuel for making a decision a couple of years ago to play there and find the best 'home' for themselves they can.