Paying players

crusader_
Current Club: Mount Barker

Paying players

Post by crusader_ »

Are CSL clubs allowed to pay their players? I hear that at least one club may be doing so. No idea where they get enough money to do that!
MickyP21
Current Club: Norwood

Re: Paying players

Post by MickyP21 »

As far as im aware there are no rules about that. I assume that there would be some clubs that do it or at least have done it in the past. Some of the bigger clubs would have ample money to pay players. I work with a guy who gets paid a few hundred dollars to play for a div3 amateur club....
crusader_

Post by crusader_ »

I wonder if FFSA would have anything to say about clubs paying supposedly amateur players? If there is nothing in the CSL's rules about it then maybe the rules should be changed.
INTERISTA

Post by INTERISTA »

I was wondering when this would be brought up in the forum. I'm with you Crusader, I can't believe that a CSL Club would have enough money to do so. I think it's just a gentleman's agreement not to pay players. I doubt the FFSA would care, if anything they might raise their affiliation fees assuming that CSL clubs are cashed up! hahah
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Needs to be considered / a stance taken on it as soon as possible as paying AMATEURS is the a huge speed bump for the game and the clubs.... Players already move from CSL to Fed teams for a few dollars (which is in the FFSA rules in fairness) but once we start to pay within the CSl and other similar leagues, the wheels will become wobbly at least!
There is an easy fix and money isn't the answer....
MickyP21

Post by MickyP21 »

There are mountains of money being spent on players in the SAASL, it's the same as the SANFL, reserve players at fed clubs can make far more money whilst training less at amateur clubs, it's been an issue for a while. SAASL isn't even under the FFSA all because they actually have more money than the state run governing body. They refuse to merge due to this reason...
INTERISTA

Post by INTERISTA »

MickyP21 wrote:There are mountains of money being spent on players in the SAASL, it's the same as the SANFL, reserve players at fed clubs can make far more money whilst training less at amateur clubs, it's been an issue for a while. SAASL isn't even under the FFSA all because they actually have more money than the state run governing body. They refuse to merge due to this reason...
Well according to tonight's meeting some Fed clubs are pushing to merge it all under one umbrella.
But back to the thread - CSL is an amateur league & no club should be paying players. Bit of a bitter pill to swallow when another CSL club poaches players and offers payment.
MickyP21

Post by MickyP21 »

INTERISTA wrote:
MickyP21 wrote:There are mountains of money being spent on players in the SAASL, it's the same as the SANFL, reserve players at fed clubs can make far more money whilst training less at amateur clubs, it's been an issue for a while. SAASL isn't even under the FFSA all because they actually have more money than the state run governing body. They refuse to merge due to this reason...
Well according to tonight's meeting some Fed clubs are pushing to merge it all under one umbrella.
But back to the thread - CSL is an amateur league & no club should be paying players. Bit of a bitter pill to swallow when another CSL club poaches players and offers payment.

I highly doubt that other clubs would poach players especially through payments,I think the best thing about our league is that there is common ground between the clubs regarding that sort of behaviour. It's a very niche competition and I feel there's good relationships between the clubs.
crusader_

Post by crusader_ »

Well I heard that in the last few weeks a 1A club played a 2A club in a trial game and, after the game, the 1A club pinched 2 or more of the other club's players with the promise of paying them. The word "pinched" is a clue.
Snowball

Post by Snowball »

Maybe there trying to claw their way to the top