Why is there games on Anzac Day

Snowball

Why is there games on Anzac Day

Post by Snowball »

Seems strange that we have to play games on this public holiday. Most of our squad are on duty/attending dawn service
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Re: Why is there games on Anzac Day

Post by Ross30 »

Anzac Day falls on a Saturday this year. The issue was discussed with clubs at the plenary meeting and no objections were raised to playing that day. No CSL games are played at dawn so I would have thought there would be adequate time to attend a service before a game.
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Have to say..... My club is going to struggle because of playing on the ANZAC weekend :(
The rep for the club didn't argue against it but in fairness, wouldn't have known it was an issue back in Jan or Feb...
Its the 100th Anniversary and we have a number of guys from the Woodside barracks who will not be free to play that day and in fairness Ross30, the guys who take this seriously have a greater investment in the day than just the dawn service.... Add to that the big concert that's on at Oakbank and we are 15+ players down before the usual injury/ working/ sick/ holiday crowd text in!!!!
In hindsight, not a good idea to play this weekend but such is life... a few of us are really looking forward to playing 2 games on the same day ;)
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Pembroke are in a similar boat, don't worry.

I appreciate it is the 100th anniversary and therefore a bigger Anzac Day than most. The issue was discussed though. I suspect that the stupid concert at Oakbank is the real issue. Hope they get saturated.
Snowball

Post by Snowball »

The concert is certainly not stupid. It's great fun. Maybe you should try it before you knock it Ross
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

Nah.. Its stupid ;)
I would say (as we are up to 20 out now!!) that 40% is Anzac Day and the rest the concert....
It will rain most of the day up there so at least some twisted delight for all the poor sods who will cover 2 games this weekend!
Deep heat on special any where??!