Should North City be allowed to get promoted?

MickyP21
Current Club: Norwood

Should North City be allowed to get promoted?

Post by MickyP21 »

Yesterday's game against North Cities B's was pretty stocked standard..... Team had 7 players at kick off, 4 of which only rocked up with 5 minutes Left....Due to the clash of strips they had to wear there shirts inside out, because I don't think they have away strips.... Not a good look.

Then at half time they were able to fill 11 when some of their A's rocked up.... Whilst I'm not complaining thanks to a 8-1 win, it poses a serious question, if Scotch and Windsor weren't allowed to play in Div 2 due to one team clubs, Why should North City be allowed to get promoted? For about 3 seasons in a row now they have really struggled to put 2 teams together, and merging has done nothing to solve that. If they do that in Div 1 then it makes a mockery of the whole division...

Immanuel are the real losers here aswell, the 2b comp will likely go down to goal difference and they got a 3-0 forfeit win, whilst we got a 8-1 win thanks to there lack of players... Again not complaining, just Immanuel get royally screwed over.

They are basically just Regency mark 2 now, and it's knda shitty that two horribly run clubs come together and now have enough players to get promoted... Whilst all the other clubs who are run well, miss out because of the ridiculous one club promotion year.... Sour grapes I know, but I'd much rather see someone like Immanuel get promoted.... Assuming we don't of course.
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Re: Should North City be allowed to get promoted?

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

League growing pains..... Hopefully the likes of St Pauls, Blackwood and Woodside get their second teams together and Div2 will be more viable.
The problem for North City and Regency is they are run poorly and so even putting them in a one club div won't fix the problem...... It may be time for the league to review the merit of all clubs to participate as I agree it will skew the final positions and quite frankly, the North City 'merger' is no different to Windsor and Scotch having a second non related team OTHER than the name.
J14
Current Club: WOSSC

Post by J14 »

To me the 'merger' was really more of a takeover after Regency were given the boot. Odd that 1 season later there is a good chance the same group of players will be back in the Division they were asked to leave.

This has made it quite tough for other Div 2 clubs seeking promotion this year as looking at the table there are maybe three clubs including Regency that could win the league. Essentially Regency demoted and re-branded and are now a Div 1 team competing in Div 2. I can't imagine North City 2b would be all the excited about playing in 1b if they get promoted, so it will be interesting to see what happens to the club if they do win it this year.

Having said this, I can see the issues the league faced in that without this being allowed Div 2 would be a 6 team Div. I'm glad they finally enforced the 2 team club rule and I think this is the price we pay. We really need other clubs to grow with a second team to strengthen Div 2 which will give the League more power to make tough calls.
nobody

Post by nobody »

No way, I can not believe that there are issues with North City. Even after joining with Regency.
On the bright side the masterstroke of forming a 7 team league is working perfectly...genius.
BB7

Post by BB7 »

To be completely honest I would much prefer to just win the league! I think it is a bit early to be asking this question. The question here is not an attack on North City/Regency. The question here is 'What direction is the league wanting to go in terms of making the Div 1A league as competitive as possible'. I think any league that allows promotion for finishing 3rd is having a laugh! There are so many other options such as playoffs if they are required. On the flip side had we stayed up last year after finishing bottom would have been a travesty as well!

The aim should be to have a Div 1A that is as competitive as possible whilst making the league as a whole fair. The CSL needs to make rules and stand by them. Not make a decision and then change it based on 1 clubs opinions. The league is the goal. Not each individual club.
crusader
Current Club: mount barker soccer club

Post by crusader »

How about adding a division of just 1 team clubs.
BB7

Post by BB7 »

I was thinking the very same thing. Boosted by bigger clubs that want to put an extra team in to make up the teams. This would give new teams the option of coming in with 1 team and building from there!
wojindows
Site Admin
Current Club: Uni Whites

Post by wojindows »

That would be the current div 3. Just that there's only two 1-team clubs in it at the moment. The other one team clubs are currently in div 5 and I suggest they would not fare so well against Windsor, Regency/North City or Scotch. St Paul's, Blackwood and Woodside are 3rd, 4th and 6th respectively behind Unley and Rostrevor's 5th teams.

I do agree that North City getting promoted in their current state would be a bit bogus. Hopefully Immanuel do the business and North City sorts itself out next year.
That's it!
INTERISTA

Post by INTERISTA »

crusader wrote:How about adding a division of just 1 team clubs.
I think that's an great idea. Or add them all to Div 2 and have byes in the reserves. Perhaps the CSL should cease accepting one team clubs?
BB7

Post by BB7 »

I don't think you need to not accept new teams. But a Div for 1 team clubs would be a great way of including new clubs with the ability to grow. If teams want to expand they can and they have somewhere to go ie Div 2. Lets not forget that there was a time when clubs were just starting out and having only 1 team was acceptable.