SAASL Clubs to Join the CSL

roswil
Current Club: Unley Old Scholars FC

SAASL Clubs to Join the CSL

Post by roswil »

I noticed that Ross30 touched on it a few posts ago regarding the CSL in negotiations with a few SAASL clubs that are thinking of making the jump to the CSL.

This would be fantastic and well done for those behind the scenes opening up the conversations to those Clubs.

I went on the SAASL forum and read that Adelaide Comets Amateurs could be one of the Clubs. Does anyone know of other Clubs that are thinking of making the move?

I realise these are only rumours and nothing has been set in stone. But it’s exciting to hear that the CSL (football in general in SA) is growing and moving in the right direction. It’s a pity the SAASL/FFSA don't see eye to eye at the moment and the competitions aren't coordinated under the one entity.
boots
Current Club: Blacks

Re: SAASL Clubs to Join the CSL

Post by boots »

It's really interesting that Comets are seeking a return to the Collegiate League. For those who have been around long enough Comets were initially called UniSA comets before they went off and did their own thing (please correct me if I'm wrong here).
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

The Comets are a possibility for next year, fingers crossed. Personally I think that if we have to amend the CSL Constitution to permit incorporated Federation clubs to field their amateur sides in the CSL then that wouldn't be a bad thing. The days of having to create an artificial link to a school or uni which actually knows nothing about the players playing under their name may then be over.

There could be other Federation clubs that would do the same thing or other SAASL clubs that may wish to come across to the CSL, but there are no guarantees either way at this stage.

We may yet have new genuine old scholars clubs applying for entry into the CSL next year too. Cabra are the latest college to express an interest in fielding an old scholars soccer club in the CSL.
INTERISTA

Post by INTERISTA »

Would the league change its name? It looks like the natural progression of the league. IF we got the other old collegian clubs playing SAASL ie. St Peters, BOSA & Iggies to come over wed have one hell of a comp.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

INTERISTA wrote:Would the league change its name? It looks like the natural progression of the league. IF we got the other old collegian clubs playing SAASL ie. St Peters, BOSA & Iggies to come over wed have one hell of a comp.
There is a bit happening in the background at the moment and I guess this years AGM will be of importance on how we move forward.

I have suggested the following in regards to the name.

Top 2 Divisions to be renamed FFSA Amateur League. This gives scope to attract new clubs in. Eg some of the ones you have mentioned. BOSA / ST Peters etc. Even look at current FFSA clubs that have amateurs.

Div 3-6 - CSL - Community Soccer League. Keeps the history of CSL moving forward. But you take away the Collegiate name out of it.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

boots wrote:It's really interesting that Comets are seeking a return to the Collegiate League. For those who have been around long enough Comets were initially called UniSA comets before they went off and did their own thing (please correct me if I'm wrong here).
You are correct that Unisa Comets existed before in the CSL. I think the comets that exist now have nothing to do with the group that was in the CSL a few years back. Last time was 2004.

I had a look at the history of the current comets and they originally started as Adelaide Raiders in the SAASL. When they got bigger and went into the FFSA they changed their name to Adelaide Comets as Croatia were known as Raiders. This was to avoid confusion.

Nothing is mentioned in their history about the CSL. So it could be a coincidence. Would have to double check with someone from Comets. It is possible that they may have run sides in both competitions for a while back in the 2000's. CSl and SAASL.
dash riprock
Current Club: Soccer in General

Post by dash riprock »

Exciting times and well deserved for the CSL (or whatever it becomes in name!)
I like what was suggested for the future and how about one (probably contentious) addition:
Make 3 and 4 divs one club with promotion / relegation and do the same with 5 and 6...
Clubs to be capped at 4 teams each (contentious bit) with movement between the 2 groups to be based on merit NOT auto promotion in order to manage the bigger clubs.
Just a thought... I think promotion and relegation is the only thing missing from the current comp in the Div 3 down otherwise its a great comp which has growth in it......
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

dash riprock wrote: Just a thought... I think promotion and relegation is the only thing missing from the current comp in the Div 3 down otherwise its a great comp which has growth in it......
I dont think promotion is missing in the current setup. If everything stays the same moving forward and the top teams take out their titles you will likely see the following changes in 2016.

Westminster Div 6 will go to Div 5.

Cant move Rostrevor Div 5

SHOC Div 4 will go to Div 3

Windsor Div 3 should go to 2A.
dash riprock
Current Club: Soccer in General

Post by dash riprock »

Thats promotion of sorts without the formality!
Some movement up / down gives teams something to play for other than just the title and keeps the divs fresh.....
Caveat being a super club can't move teams up / down a la Rostrevor 5
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

dash riprock wrote:Thats promotion of sorts without the formality!
Some movement up / down gives teams something to play for other than just the title and keeps the divs fresh.....
Caveat being a super club can't move teams up / down a la Rostrevor 5
Where possible bottom teams may be moved out to a lower div. Most unlikely though but it will be looked at.

Cant move Rostrevor as they are already in each Div but the CSL will ask Rostrevor to push that playing group up to Div 4. Some Div 4 players may come down to Div 5.

That will be an internal thing for Rostrevor to work out in 2016.