2a Blackwood V Norwood

Snowball

2a Blackwood V Norwood

Post by Snowball »

Any news of when or if this abandoned game will be played.
crusader_
Current Club: Mount Barker

Re: 2a Blackwood V Norwood

Post by crusader_ »

I thought it was a 3-0 win to Blackwood? Norwood player caused the game to be called off after attempting to strangle the ref.
hellas

Post by hellas »

He didn't strangle the Ref, get your facts right - he touched him.
And the Ref gave 2 ridiculous Yellows, this would not of happen.
crusader
Current Club: mount barker soccer club

Post by crusader »

This would not of happen ???
Firstarter
Current Club: Scotch

Post by Firstarter »

Can't touch the ref regardless of how stupid the yellows etc. are.
We had a game abandoned last year when a ref gave a ludicrous red and the player gave him a mouth full from about 10 metres range...the ref decided he was intimidated and called the game off when both teams agreed there was no need / nothing it it. FFSA wanted to hand down a huge ban for that but dropped back to 3 games.
Touch the referee though and the FFSA will throw the book at you..... Rostrevor had a player banned for a long time at the end of last season for what amounted to a 'touch' and the FFSA interpreted that in the harshest manner.
Its funny that one mans strangle is another mans touch and vice versa depending on which side of the fence you play!
In all honesty, if you touch the ref, you are gone and for a long time... and I reckon that's fair regardless of the perceived level of 'touch'. No shades of grey, just don't bloody well touch a ref....simples.
The original question hasn't been answered as the the score hasn't been applied to the table (hence the question I guess).
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

There was a disciplinary hearing conducted recently by FFSA in relation to this game. A 3 month suspension was given to the Norwood player and Blackwood were awarded a 3-1 win (Norwood were 1-0 up at the time the referee abandoned the match). Norwood subsequently appealed the decision to award Blackwood the win and are seeking to have the game replayed. I think FFSA is still yet to determine the outcome of the appeal.
Firstarter

Post by Firstarter »

Either he touched the ref or he didn't...... shouldn't be that difficult to work out especially if the Ref's report says he touched him.
IF HE DID..... He is gone and the decision to abandon should be maintained.
I think decisions to replay games need to be exceptional in their circumstance and this doesn't pass the reasonable test...
IF Norwood lose the appeal, the penalty should be increased and a financial penalty added.. not for any reason other than to make people really think about the appeal process... Hopefully nobody loses their sheep station over this whole thing ....
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

I think Norwood had to pay a fee of $500 to FFSA to lodge their appeal. On appeal, the penalties could be unchanged, increased or reduced.

By the sound of things Norwood may have an arguable case that the referee over-reacted and should not have abandoned the game as the player was leaving the field with no further protest after being red carded. FFSA will almost always side with the referee's version of events on these matters though, so I agree that it seems unlikely that the result of the match will be overturned.
Balotelli
Current Club: Windsor Gardens

Post by Balotelli »

FFSA better hear the appeal soon. Would hate for the league title to be decided by their decision after the season has finished.
Firstarter

Post by Firstarter »

Been done before... Section 5 of the refs guidelines states something along the lines that a ref can abandon a game if he feels intimidated or threatened in any manner. This is at his / her sole discretion.
Replay of a game can only be agreed by the governing body.
SO... the decision to abandon will never be overturned in terms of the game being called early...
The governing body can decide on a replayed game and my guess would be that this has a higher degree of likelihood if the CSL committee were to review BUT if the FFSA are involved, the chances will be slim to zippo....
The decision to abandon will come with a refs testimony and is treated like a police affidavit (i.e. is the law and wont be challenged).. the replay would need both clubs to agree firstly AND then for the FFSA to make a decision that would set a precedent which they don't like doing.
As Norwood are in a potential promotion dogfight, this decision is under even higher levels of scrutiny from fellow promotion contenders (3 / 4 clubs at this stage) and FFSA rarely bend from their position unless lawyers get involved (in which case they will roll over... costs too much to play that game for them maybe?).
Again, it will all come down to the refs testimony and I would doubt he / she would tell a match review panel that the decision was wrong unless hard evidence was provided.. which wont be...
Only chance is if the referee is one of a couple who have history in this space.. But I agree, this needs to be sorted ASAP to avoid the sort of news and bad publicity usually reserved for the SAASL ;)