Refs

Snowball

Refs

Post by Snowball »

Question. It a ref is able to not ref a certain team would it be ok for a team to request that there is one that they would rather not have in charge of their games. Just asking ?
Firstarter
Current Club: Scotch

Re: Refs

Post by Firstarter »

You can ask..... I think you need to have good reason and be prepared to have no ref turn up though....
The process should be to submit a complaint / ref assessment form to document your issues...
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

My experience with FFSA is that if you request to not have a particular referee then you are actually more likely to have that referee again soon, unless the referee has also requested not to referee your games. Sometimes I think that is a mere coincidence but on other occasions probably not.

One issue is that there are probably 3 or 4 referees that nearly every club would ideally request not to have. But whilst there is a shortage of referees they are going to continue being appointed.
boots
Current Club: Blacks

Post by boots »

Where can I access one of these complaint forms? I had a ref say to me after a game 'next time I ref you...' after I asked him to protect players from both sides from high foot challenges and also during the game 'I want to send you off because you are annoying me' (I was simply appealing).
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Via the documents page of this website you can access a Match Officials Feedback form. Fill that out and send it to your club delegate so they can consider it and send it to the CSL if they deem it appropriate to do so.

Some of the questions on that form are out-of-date and no longer applicable. But this is still the form that FFSA will accept from CSL clubs.

Though it may be tempting, I would not recommend submitting these forms regularly as it is rarely worth the effort. Only if FFSA keep receiving reports from different clubs about the same referee will they be likely to take any action. And even then, it seems that a club that makes the complaint will often have the same referee appointed to them one or two weeks later.
boots

Post by boots »

Ross30 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:37 pm Only if FFSA keep receiving reports from different clubs about the same referee will they be likely to take any action. And even then, it seems that a club that makes the complaint will often have the same referee appointed to them one or two weeks later.
Kinda makes it all redundant doesn't it? It's almost like if you can't do anything about the bad refs because they is a shortage, then perhaps we should reward the good refs as an incentive for the bad ones to up their game?
Firstarter
Current Club: Scotch

Post by Firstarter »

I reckon we just have to suck it up in terms of ref quality.... It will always be a mixed bag but I reckon the only genuine improvement that can be easily delivered would be to rotate refs through teams / games.... A poor ref or a ref that has a history with a player or game becomes a bigger issue if you keep getting the same one week in week out. Even worse, a ref who has marked players card due to multiple weeks of encounters etc... seen it happen and form there the relationship goes... south :(
boots

Post by boots »

I just think that there must be a better way or some sort of solution to all this. I get your point in terms of having to "Suck it up" but I've played for so many years and the bad decision making (or no decision making) or thoroughly unprofessional behaviour of referees, especially when they are paid decent coin really grates me.

A tiered system where good refs are paid more is fair and less competent ones are actually regularly (frequency open to definition) assessed with the aim of improvement for promotion to higher tiers. Repeated or prolonged poor performances with have some consequence I suppose.

Okay I'll shut up now. This is probably just too much faff for the referee association to bother with.