Pembroke v Rostrevor game abandoned

fouly002
Current Club: Vipers

Pembroke v Rostrevor game abandoned

Post by fouly002 »

In div 3....What happened here?

Will the result strand? (I take it if it was after 70 mins it will)
simmo

Re: Pembroke v Rostrevor game abandoned

Post by simmo »

Why did it get abandoned? This has happened before with Rostrevor? Are there any sanctions because this has to stop. They are giving the league a bad name.
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

There was a serious incident and the referee abandoned the game. Pembroke were leading 3-1 at the time and I believe the result will stand.
Snowball

Post by Snowball »

Wonder who the ref was. Abandonman?
Brendan
Current Club: Mt Barker

Post by Brendan »

Somehow this has made it to the front page of news.com.au.. must be a slow news day.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... d58f67e840
AN AMATEUR soccer match was called off early following an “assault on the pitch” in which a player was repeatedly punched by an opponent from a Newton-based club.

A Rostrevor Old Collegians player could cop a ban of up to seven weeks after allegedly punched a Pembroke Old Scholars opponent several times at the 75th minute of a division three clash in the Collegiate Soccer League on July 29 at Park 17.

A Pembroke player said on social media last weekend the incident started after a team mate made a “bad tackle” on a Rostrevor player.

“The (Rostrevor) opponent player snapped,” the Pembroke player said.

“Took a huge swing and knocked our player to the ground, then dived into our player and continued to lay punches to the head as our player laid on the ground trying to cover his head.

“Worst thing I’ve seen in 25 years. A disgrace. Charges should be laid in my view. Nobody consents to being assaulted on the sporting field.”

With Pembroke leading 3-1, the game was called off.

League chairman Raf Plawecki said the score was likely to stand with player penalties expected to be handed down this week.

“The Rostrevor player is looking at between five to seven weeks (on the sidelines),” he said. “The Pembroke player could get between two and three weeks.

“Both were automatically suspended over the weekend, so they won’t be playing. The incident happened and there were no further fights.

“The two players were separated and the game was finished. It’s difficult (to assess the incident) as we don’t have any video footage. We need to get reports from the referees.”

The league says a Rostrevor player had been sent off earlier in the match after attempting to retrieve the ball from an opposition player.

Both clubs were reluctant to speak before deadline but confirmed the incident.

A Football Federation SA spokesman said the matter was being addressed by the league.
...Whilst I don't condone fighting in games, I can't help but think that the Advertiser is trying to stick the boot into football.
simmo

Post by simmo »

Looks like it was a serious incident. Rostrevor has caused this and it should be delt with seriously....or will it just slide because of who they are. Imagine this was Windsor, all hell would break loose. I bet there are a few smiles down there at Windsor Gardens.
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Rostrevor are unlucky this story has been publicised. In the last few years alone there have been several serious incidents where other clubs were in the wrong and no media attention resulted from it. As Brendan said, the media seem particularly eager to run negative stories about soccer at the moment.
Brendan
Current Club: Mt Barker

Post by Brendan »

I don't think this will be dealt with any differently to any other incident of this manner. I imagine the league are more than capable of handling this internally without the Advertiser chomping at the bit to get something printed.
Firstarter
Current Club: Scotch

Post by Firstarter »

Stuff happens and it isn't big news... the key is not what happens but how it is dealt with......
That should be publicised to make clear that the League doesn't condone and will deal with these things in a professional and effective manner...
I have every confidence this will happen and the CSL has a record of dealing with these things in a sensible yet thorough manner..
The Advertiser is not a newspaper any more (if it ever was!) but likes to push agendas and angles.. soccer's turn and they will carry on for a while... As long as the incident is dealt with, nothing to see
nobody

Post by nobody »

Agree that it shouldn't have been publicised and yes there have been many of these incidents over the years that haven't been publicised.
Therefore the questions that must be asked are "how did they find out? Who went to the Advertiser?