Referees

John Pits
Current Club: Olympiakos

Re: Referees

Post by John Pits »

Mate, will all due respect, don't kid yourself into thinking that the FFSA gives a damn about reports filed by the CSL. I'm willing to bet that they're totally ignored, if read at all. If they cared about our league, they would make sure there was someone there to mentor him through his first few games, this is how it's meant to be done and how the old Referees Association used to handle it before we were affiliated with the FFSA.

To have a bloke refereeing a game that has no understanding of the rules is a joke. Any one of our spectators would have done a better job and it's frustrating knowing that our players' fees, volunteers' help and sponsorship money goes towards paying people like this, that can't even perform the job at the minimal level required. I've been frustrated at referee decisions before, but at least for the most part, they understand the rules. This bloke practically made $150 for sitting there and ruining 2 matches with his poor understanding of the game.

When asked by club captains and coaches to explain things after the game, he wouldn't even aknowledge that we were speaking to him and this obviously frustrated us more. Not one apology was made, nor an effort to just listen to our questions.

The referee is at fault for a poor lack of communication and the fact that he didn't even have cards and WATCH on him to time the game. The FFSA/CSL is at fault for allowing this person to try and officiate a game in this state. People need to start taking responsibility if we want the CSL to grow, because if not, it's just going to get worse. Mark my words.
dash riprock
Current Club: Soccer in General

Post by dash riprock »

Agrre that the new refs should have a mentor at their first couple of games and I'm led to believe they normally do (have seen it in Junior games funnily enough NOT the CSL though!!).
The real issue with your expereince is that refs should (in my opinion) ALWAYS come from people who have played the game for a while not just be a job opportunity for people wnating to make a few hundred dollars at the weekend whilst keeping fit!
For a ref to not understand any of the bais rules means he / she hasn't played the game before or for long enough.
The real shame is that the FFSA is grossly short of refs and these new rewfs who are left to sink or swim will.... sink or swim!!! Meaning me will lose some along the way because the guys ain't going to take that sort of performance... leading to more arguments.. leading to the ref thinking its not worht the effort.
Don't know the answer to this one but it won't be the last time unfortunatley and it does gall to pay $75 for someone who has no idea...even though $75 is apparently cheap for a ref.
We used to play in the SAASL and they had club refs for the B grade and below games which is one of the many reasons we left..... The promise of propoer refs was deemed a great bonus and in fairness the majority of times its been good.... Add Keith Pearsson to0 your list.... he knows the rules but is tethered to a rope which stops him leaving the middle of the pitch!
It is going to get worse before it gets better and I see we have a number of games again this weeknd with no refs...... :evil:
senco65
Current Club: Uni black

Post by senco65 »

The FFSA should not be using the CSL as a training ground for new referees.
Send the new Refs to junior games and to act as linemen in FFSA Sate League games and make sure that any senior linesmen come and do senior CSL games to expand their training.
This way the can be mentored by senior referees for a few games before sending them out to to do games which they are not ready for.
Dont send us Damir, or Pieterson or any old washed up guy who has no interest in the game!
Expecting clubs to Pay someone that's got no idea, $150 for two games, is not respecting the CSL or the game.
You can rest assured the CSL will have no choice but to bring in club based referees like the saasl as there are not enough Refs out there, and not enough are coming through to cover the loss of the older ones.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

The ref standard has dropped this year. It all starts with the FFSA requesting that Refs train twice a week. We players dont even do that. Most of us anyway. if they dont train then they dont get to ref. So we have good refs sitting at home that want to do it but cant make trainings and those that come are their for the wrong reasons. I would be happy to ref one day after finsihing playing but not if it involves 1-2 trainings a week. The CSL has lost all the experienced refs because of this. The SAASL is also offering more dollars as well so many take that. One thing that shouldnt happen which is happening is that many refs are registered in FFSA and SAASL. They choose what they want to do and who pays more. Refs will be an issue moving forward.
nobody

Post by nobody »

Well done to Uni black Div 3 for providing a great referee for the game on the weekend. Because the league can't get their act together Uni Black had to provide the ref. I have to say he did a fantastic job and was fair to both sides. He was the best ref we have had this year.
ChrisRogers
Current Club: Scotch

Post by ChrisRogers »

Had a guy named Kenny on the weekend. Must say he was probably the best ref we've had all season.

There are some good ones out there!
yak

Post by yak »

Send a report to the CSL - Defo worth noting which ref's are doing a good job!
crusader
Current Club: mount barker soccer club

Post by crusader »

Dale Kenny is his name and he is from the adelaide hills . He is by far the best of the refs we have had this season.We had a shocker at the weekend who was not sure of the rules and was a bit shy giving out his cards. Keeper pulled down the striker and he was awarded a penalty but no cards to the keeper. he then steps two footed out of his area and the ref played on. He could also do with being shown a proper throw in