Referees not showing

ChrisRogers
Current Club: Scotch

Referees not showing

Post by ChrisRogers »

We (Scotch) have missed out on refs for the last two home matches despite having them assigned. Has anyone else had any issues with referees not turning up this season?
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Re: Referees not showing

Post by Ross30 »

Pembroke's division 2B team have had one week so far this season where the appointed referee didn't turn up. Make sure you let Dino Mancini know if a referee doesn't turn up, so that FFSA are informed and (hopefully) the referee in question is held accountable.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

30th June - Pulteney v Rostrevor.
No ref showed for 1A / 1B - There was one appointed.

Both games went ahead and we had no problems at all. Each club did a half each in each game. All 4 referees on the day did very well, all were players.
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

30th June - Mount Barker 3 v Rostrevor 3 - No Ref show.
Game was played. All went well.
Squeezy Cheesey Peas
Current Club: Adelaide City

Post by Squeezy Cheesey Peas »

There was no ref for the Mercedes away game at Mount Barker (Div3) and for the following Div 4 game also aginst Mt Barker. Don't know if one was assigned or not.... There was no one for the 2b and 2a games either apprently but the home team contacted Dino and a ref was found at the last minute so it pays to ring !!
chelsea

Post by chelsea »

I think its important that the CSL keep count of how many games we dont get refs from the FFSA.
Then at the end of the year we have a figure.
League only stats:
Each week we have 30 games. X 18 league games = 540 games in a year.
95% success rate would cover 513 games. 27 games go uncovered through the year. 1.5 games per week.

If these end up being the stats then its hard to complain.
Simple fact is no one wants to be a ref and all leagues suffer. Not just ours.

Answer - Each club to encourage older players to become referees.
cruie

Post by cruie »

For clarity on Mt Barker last two weeks

("AHRB" = Adelaide Hills Referees Board.)

23/06
Division 3 - Mt Barker v Mercs - "AHRB" Scheduled ... no show (we played, I reffed)
Division 4 - Mt Barker v Mercs - "AHRB" Scheduled ... no show (we played, I reffed)

AHRB was also scheduled for D2B and D2A v CBC. No shows. However, after a couple of phone calls, Dino found a ref - in about 30 minutes - from the city who did D2B and D2A - If he had not, those games would have been postponed

30/06
Division 3 - Mt Barker v Rostrevor - "AHRB" Scheduled ... no show; ref actually turned up for a 1pm KO, not an 11am (we played, I reffed)

AHRB is an issue for us, as it adds a third body into the mix when getting a ref for our home games (we don't always get scheduled AHRB, but most often we do) ... The more organisations involved in the process, the more chance for f*** ups

chelsea wrote:30th June - Mount Barker 3 v Rostrevor 3 - No Ref show.
Game was played. All went well.
You're either blind, deaf or both! (it would help me out a great deal if all players were thus!) ;)
buzzy

Post by buzzy »

I've been pondering the referee situation for a couple of years now, particularly last season when our Division 3 & 4 teams got a raw deal early in the season. This season we have been fortunate to have ref's allocated for all games besides the Mount Barker fixture that has been discussed already.

Fining ref's that don't show up won't help the situation - this will just put them off further (and how do you enforce the fine - threaten them with de-registration which makes the original problem worse?!).

We have made a concerted effort this year to make ref's feel welcome at our ground - a few people always try to have a friendly chat with them and we let them know there's a bbq and drinks available to them (for free) after the game if they want to stick around. I know personally if I was reffing this would make me happier and more comfortable.

In terms of assistant referees, I have an idea to put the word out at schools for senior students who are interested in refereeing. Our club would offer to pay for them to complete a course that would qualify them to be an assistant and then pay them the normal rate ($40 per game) to do our home games, hopefully splitting the cost with the opposition. That $80 could be pretty appealing to someone still at school who likes the game. The lack of assistant referees always causes issues from perceived cheating to actual cheating and no one wants to be running the line in front of opposition fans. The current issue is finding the time to organise all of this!!!

The sooner we come up with pro-active strategies such as this the stronger the league will get. Our club has certainly been appreciative for the times that Dino has reffed our games this year which from what I gather would have been un-allocated otherwise.
cruie

Post by cruie »

D3 14/07/12 - 11am KO
Mt Barker v SHOC3

NO SHOW REFEREE - WE PLAYED

(AHRB were not allocated)

Once again the ref turned up at 1PM, saying that he should be reffing the Mt Barker v SHOC3 game.

He said he was also down for a 3PM D4 game. This is not possible ... We have 1 11am KO, 2 1PM KOs and 1 3PM KO (D2A). So I don't know whether FFSA/CSL communication with refs is the problem ... or whether refs just can't read?!

As ever, my apologies to our D3 lads and SHOC3, for having to suffer my ref-skillz ... And also my thanks for - by quite some way - the least whingy group I have reffed this season.
Ross30
Current Club: Pembroke

Post by Ross30 »

Dino Mancini sent out an email to clubs on Friday night to say that FFSA had sent out a referee allocation sheet late on Friday which contained incorrect kick-off times for 3 or 4 games. The 11am Mt Barker game was unfortunately one of them. Dino had said he would seek to contact FFSA to rectify the situation (ie get them to contact the affected refs and advise of the correct k-o time), but presumably he had no luck in that regard. The usual person at FFSA who does the referee allocations, Nathan Magill, was in Queensland during the week. So whoever filled in for him would appear to have botched it up. Extremely frustrating, but hopefully a once off error.

All the more reason why Dino/the CSL Executive Committee should be permitted to have a list of referees' phone numbers so we can sort such problems out ourselves on a Friday or Saturday if need be.

I wonder if the ref who was given the wrong times and drove up to Mt Barker can issue a fine to FFSA? ;)